How do you heat your garage

I have a small garage/workshop about 14'x35' aprox 450sq ft. I have a wood stove in the room next to it and will be using that to heat it. I was thinking off adding a hanging electric heater 220 volt also. What do you think? The room is plywood wall and ceiling and all insulated. Thanks mike

I live in Texas where the average winter day is about 45 degrees. The wood stove alone would be enough here. I have a shop that is 30x42 and a wood stove will heat it until it gets down to freezing or lower.

I heat my 20' x 30', well insulated, shop with an 18,000 btu natural gas direct vent heater. I run a box fan on low to circulate it, and it works cheap and well! Even at 20 below, it is toasty in there!

I don't have a permanent heat system in my garage. Long underwear, sweatshirt, jacket and a closed garage door are my usual methods of dealing with inclement weather and colder temps (I live in Michigan). If it's REALLY cold (in the low 20's or teens) and I've got a project that will take a while, I may pull out a small electric heater which is enough to let me work comfortably without bulky gloves/coats. Single digits or below zero..... I'm inside by the fireplace.

Plus, if I'm welding or using the o/a torch, I don't need to worry about heat. :wink:

My "shop" is in the basement which is heated and where my tablesaw, drill press, grinder, etc. are located.

(quoted from post at 04:45:29 11/09/11) I have a small garage/workshop about 14'x35' aprox 450sq ft. I have a wood stove in the room next to it and will be using that to heat it. I was thinking off adding a hanging electric heater 220 volt also. What do you think? The room is plywood wall and ceiling and all insulated. Thanks mike

Here in western, Pa, you never know what a winter will be like temperature wise. My work shop is 22 x 30. I have an oil furnace, out of a mobil home and it does a great job. I have access to a lot of fuel samples because of the fuels testing business that I am involved in , so rather than pay disposal costs I simply burn a lot of the samples. It is amazing what the oil fuirnace will handle as far as fuel. Also I only run it when I am in there.

I put a 220 electric heater in our garage and it works great.

In my shop I have a LB White LP heater. There is also a wood stove in the shop. It doesn't see much wood, mostly trash.

Gary

Attached two car garage is heated by oil furnace from mobile home. 14 x 30 shed is heated the same way. 30 x 40 garage has no heat yet.

shop is 32x40 insulated but still got some drafts, but the Bryan outside wood stove does a pretty good job. Its not hot water, just hot air with a return, working on something heavy like splitting a tractor 60 is plenty warm.

A few years ago I hung an electric forced air 7500 watt heater from the ceiling (24x28 insulated attached garage) and heats the garage no problem, the bad part is using the overhead door (8x18) that lets out the heat.
I will admit that my electric bill gets a little crazy during the cold months.

Garage 30x30 has overhead hot dawg on propane, shop 40x60 has infloor electric boiler. I love the infloor heat, but would use wood/propane next time.

Insulation in floor is most important.

my shop electric boiler floor heat. the garage doesn't get heat cept when the kids leave door to house open:/ Paul

36x40 with 10ft ceiling, use wood and waste oil, have hanging propane for a non use time to keep it from freezing. One of my boys has a electric back up on 220, does a good job, they run on a secondary rate here. This year propane is $1.99 Furnace #2 is $3.38.

24x36x10'.rollup tarp door.wood stove with a waste oil 'dripper'.Keeps it nice and toasty even in the coldest temps.

40x80 combination home and shop. Insulated shop portion has 150btu hanging Reznor propane. Keeps shop at 40 degrees all winter, and run it up in a few minuted to 55.
Living section hsa two Amana motel units. Takes care of the heat and AC.

Interesting. As you have in-floor heat I was wondering how well it would work in a heavy use floor.

My shop was originally designed for servicing tractor-trailer units and the floor is 8" with rerod every foot and #9 rollout app 2" below the floor surface.

I am considering an addition to this shop and was wondering if in-floor hydronic heating would be a viable option.

Not going to work for you in your current situation but I heat with radiant floor heat in my shop. Heat it to 65 degrees in the winter with a wood boiler. Working at converting the house to staple up radiant. Putting PEX tubes up in the joist and insulate below to direct the heat up. Its such a nice comfortable even steady heat. Would not build or go with anything other than radiant in the future.

Garage here is 1/2 the basement, boiler room and a couple of fin tube radiators from the oil/hotwater furnce, plus heat from the furnace, keeps the space in the 50-60 range, used to stay around 50 before,more so when its 0 degrees F outside. New garage doors, insulated, no more drafts near the 4 car garage.

I have an old Ashley automatic, oval shaped woodstove that can heat the entire space alone, if its 30 degrees out, it can be 80 near the stove in no time, and I'm not talking cranked up either, just a simple fire going, I use fans to circulate the heat out of there to the other half.

Prior to new garage doors, drafty but fresh air was a good thing, I'd have to keep it cranked up to get the entire space near 70, so I settled at 60, which is easy to hold farthest from the stove, don't like it too hot anyway. In those days 4-5 cord would be about what you need in wood, new doors sure made a difference!

Currently, depending on the weather, and this old non air tight stove, produces heat quickly, I adjust my useage as needed.

Benefit is that 1/2 the house above the stove area, has open floor joists, the heat rises and heats the floor, along that with a sunny day, the furnace does not run much as that zone maintains temperature, those rooms are toasty warm from the floor up.

It's a decent size space that keeps my 850 ford tractor warm so I can use it in the snow, and enough room to work on most things I have, + that space in the back sure is nice after hunting or being outside all day, warms you up, dries things off, TV, fridge, stove, soon to be counter, sink and a few cabinets, I'm very fortunate to have the space and be warm, I know the sky garage all so well !

i have had homemade wood stove, force air Lp furnace,in my 40 x 40 shop. Wood was fine ins did not like and pretty soon you spend more time cutting wood than shop work. current shop 54 x75 i use radiant tube heaters best thing i done. office in shop also has radiant low clearence unit. that area did have baseboard electic unit. i vote for the radiant tube units,they are clean constant heat like the sunshine,also like the wood heat but without all the mess smoke and wood cutting. usually little over 900 gals runs my winter and that is shop never below 40 at night and in the 60 daytime,office part usually in the 70. Will be sticking in a small corn furnce this year just for the heck of it I guess unless somebody wants to buy it $850.00. came out of neighbors house he moved and went to a larger unit heats whole house with it,the unit I got he heated his old house with,it does really put out the heat for just a cup full of corn burning. tired walking around it so I just well use it

Infloor radiant baby! Powed by a Weil McLain Ultra. The cat's meow.

<a href="http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/BillyinStoughton/?action=view&amp;current=100_0170.jpg" target="_blank">
100_0170.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket
</a>

here it doesn't get too cold, have a propane burner with an old rotor on top to heat the shop up quickly (glows red) and an old franklin stove that will chase you out of the shop if you've had it going for a while. 30x60 shop with spray in insulation.

I have a 32X40 stick built and use a "Gordon Ray" infra-red single tube hung from the ceiling,right down the middle. It heats objects which in turn gives off heat. Best thing I ever did. It's quiet and no fans blowing and best of all it's cheap to operate ! Jim in N.M.

I believe adding the electric heater is a good idea. Fire up the woodstove and then use the electric heater to remove the chill enough to work until the woodstove gets "cooking". Shut the electric down and then use only the woodstove.

Like you, no regular heat. Building is too big, un insulated to heat. Dress warm. Heavy cardboard on the floor to stand on. 300W light above me, or on my work area. Small cube heater in front of me, to keep my fingers warm. I get by, for years.

Radiant tube heater in the ceiling burning propane. Shop is 30x50 with 14' walls. It probably costs me $1000 to heat it. I finished the last of the outside projects for the year last Monday, so starting on shop projects this weekend.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back