How do you remove window tint glue?

560Dennis

560Dennis
What do I use to get that old dried up glue off my doors windows ? Ugh !
Got this truck from Florida and brought to Ohio . Sun doesnt shine hear like Florida . Got this dried glue . I cant see out the windows
 
Recently my wife put one of those sticky fly traps on a window, wrong side out! I got the glue off using rubbing alcohol, but it took some scraping too. Maybe denatured alcohol would work better, and a razor blade scraper.
 
I applied heat to the film and was able to pull it off in small strips. I think I used a razor blade type of scraper to get the little edge pieces off.
 
Depends on what dissolves the glue.

Start with something simple like window cleaner. If that doesn't do it, try working your way up, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone, carb and brake cleaner...

Guess I got lucky, helped a friend buy a car, it had DARK window tint, his eyesight is bad anyway, it had to go!

I just picked a corner loose, it ripped right out, didn't leave any residue I could see!
 
Careful splashing solvents around a car interior. Many surfaces can be dissolved or messed up with any contact with them, especially the harsher solvents.
 
Paint prep is one solvent that might work. It is mostly alcohol. It is marketed by various names, paint prep is the one name I know of. It is used to wipe down surfaces before painting. In my experience paint prep will make the glue gummy and easier to remove but it will not dissolve the glue.
 
Do not use harsh chemicals. For whatever you use can run down into the dash possibility damaging parts. Especially electrical connections or rubber hoses.

Razor blade type scrappers work the best. Its what we use to remove inspection stickers.

Spray a good foaming glass cleaner on a small area and scrap the glue off. Then move to another spot. The glass cleaner keeps the glue from sticking to the windshield and makes it easier to wipe off.
 
You should be able to get 90% of it off with a glass scraper. Then what is left you could get with a rag damp with lacquer thinner.
 
3-M adhesive cleaner on a shop towel. That is what it is made for.
Comes in a flat sided quart can with a plastic spout.
Garry
 
Most of the tint products break down with amonia exposure (real windex). Rubbing alcohol and a flat razor scraper will get it too
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top