How far do you have to go to get to a tractor

Bruce from Can.

I thought the post about Equpment dealerships from years ago was very interesting. So how far do you have to travel now to get to a farm equipment dealer for parts or new equipment. Within 30 miles of my gate I have , 2 JD stores under one owner, 2 CaseIH stores under one owner, 2 NH/Mahimdra/JCB dealer stores under one owner, 2 Kubota dealers with different ownership, 1 MF/Agco/Heston dealer, one Mckormick/Pottinger dealer and a MTZ/Belarus. All dealers have various short lines, like Anderson’s wrappers, Lemmkin tillage, Hardie sprayers . Several deal in TMR mixers and a wide range of lawn and garden. Don’t have to go far to spend money here, but only one tractor wrecker .

I only have to travel to my computer. I used to go to a dealer which was about 40 minutes away and they did a good job with all my requests for parts for my old tractors but most of the time they had to order from a warehouse and shipped them directly to my house. Now with the agility to order about anything on line I haven't been to a dealer in years.

Uncle bought a tractor one winter 25 miles away, had to switch drivers every 2 miles to warm up, think dad, grandpa, and uncle played music seats on the way home.

Our closest dealers are both 60 miles away. Been that way for 40 years. Thats why when someone complains about having to go another 10 miles for parts when their dealer 5 miles down the road closes, I have no sympathy.

The Kubota, former IH dealer is 3 minutes away. That's my usual haunt. Don't have any Kub's, but I can still get IH & NH parts from the Depot though them. The CaseIH dealer is 20 min. from here, NH & Deere are about 25 min. Agco is 30 min for one & 40 min. for the other. Claas is about an hour away & I don't recall where the Fendt/Agco dealer is.

Mike

We have pretty much all colors within a 45 minute drive. There are actually 3 case IH dealers within that 45 minutes. 2 are one dealer and the third is a different dealer. They sell Kubota also. Massey, JD, Case IH, all foreign brands not too far away. There is even an old Oliver dealer who does not sell new equipment still in buiseness about 20 minutes away. He does shop work, buys and sells mostly Oliver stuff and still sells a lot of parts. We have been to him numerous times !

John deere and case/kubota are less then 10 minutes away. New Holland/bobcat/claas are about 35 minutes. The new Holland dealer has another store about an hour from me that carries agco and Krause and they will send the parts to the close dealer foe me(free).( The kubota dealer transfered a deck spring from another store and charged me 8 bucks shipping, stock order would of been free shipping.)

JD, New Holland, Kubota and Mahindra within 5 miles. Don't know about Case IH, never had the need to check into it.

Within 50 miles, 7 Kubota, 4 Deere, 3 New Holland, 2 CIH, 2 Massey, 1 Kioti, 2 LS,1 Branson, and probably a couple others that I forgot. I live 50 miles North of Detroit.

Within 20 miles I have Deere,Agco,and Case within 50 miles I have probably 4or 5 Deere 2or3 Case and couple Agco and then a few shortlines from all of them of one kind or another.

Three miles to CaseIH, five to Deere and 10 to largest NH dealer in the state. Thirty gets me three other Deere,2 more CaseIH and 2 Agco. Tom

NH is closest at 4 miles. 3 JD locations at just under 15 miles each. Case IH 2 stores at just a little over 20 miles each. The nearest AGCO location is almost 30 miles away but does not have a long history so most parts have to be ordered. The nearest Kubota store is the NH dealership 4 miles away. I have heard talk that at some point Kubota will insist on stand alone locations. While all the parts departments try real hard to please I think that otherwise the Case IH dealer could not care less about my business.

I don’t travel John Deere delivers parts to my town free everyday I have 3 different dealers to chose from . Fiat has a dealer local. And your agriculture company comes once a week with parts

2 john deere dealers 10 miles the other 15 new holland 10 miles case ih kobato 18 ago massey about 30 mihiradina 10

JD dealer and kubota both 50 miles. Like coshoo said don't know where the closest case ih dealer is. RB

For John deere it's 35 miles and case it's 50 miles I was lucky that from 1980's up to 2019 that I called a case dealer 3hrs away and got everything I needed the next day to my door step.

About 15 miles to AGCO, 20 miles to Deere and another AGCO, 40 or more to anything else. Used to have CaseIH about 30 miles away but they closed that store a few years ago.

I Wooster has Caseih dealer and that’s about 1 1/2 hours one way . I figure my time is $100 /hour so I don’t drive there, I-tiried to order parts there and I had to recall them ,they forgot. So now I forget to call them ,I call Messicks or order on the line. I’m not a big parts ordering guy . I don’t really think they want to fool with Farmall C and Sc anyway.
Massey Ferguson is in Sharron pa I think so that’s where I have to go to get Baler parts if I need them ,but again I’d have ups to me.

A good Case dealer west of me 20 miles, several branches of another Case dealer 40 miles north and east.

A snobby JD dealer 20 miles west of me as well as numerous other same owner dealerships around me. A more favored JD dealership is about 50 miles north.

Agco dealerships, 3 of them about a 45 minute drive north, east, or south of me. All good shops.

Two of those are also New Holland dealers.

Kubota kinda has come and gone, there is one within 45 minutes but I can’t remember which dealership is running it now.

There is a small import tractor shop (I think Mahindra and others) and a Ziegler Cat dealership 30 minutes east of me.

There was one small remaining Agco dealership 15 miles from me, was an old Oliver location, they quit and my coop, of all things, took it over and ran it a few years, things just never worked out. They closed for good a year ago, I haven’t counted them in any of the above, I stopped there once in the 1990s asking about my Gleaner F combine, they said they really don’t have parts for the old stuff like that. Seemed odd for a small family old time dealership to say that, but I took them at their word.

Back in the 60s into the 70s there was JD, IHC, Allis Chalmers, Oliver, Ford all 5-6 miles away.

A decade ago some friends kind of made fun of my Gleaner combine, their JD combines could be serviced by a dealer 10 miles away, I had to go 45 minutes for parts. Right after that the snobby dealership got put together and bought up 20 local dealers, closed the 2 closest ones, doubled their shop rates, and said stick it to anyone not running 6000 acres or more. Meanwhile, I still had my choice of 3 independent Gleaner dealers all as close as their new mega Green dealer, but my Gleaner dealerships still carry parts on the shelf for my old conventional Gleaners. Last laugh......for now.

Paul

In my area of.zanesville ohio the only dealership left is john deere everything else is gone the new Holland dealer changed hands about three years ago he always had a lot of used tractors and equipment I always enjoyed just driving through the lot once a month or so because there was always something else there every time you drove through. Two weeks after the new guy took over all the used equipment was gone and replaced with all new stuff he didn't last two years before going belly up it was sad to see that always a delight to just drive through the lot looking at all the used stuff

Lucknow used to be the farm machinery centre with 5 or 6 mainline dealers....only one left now, CNH and they amalgamated a few years ago. An hours drive 3 ways for Agco Gleaner, half hour for JD, most dealers carry a secondary line or more as well.

Ben

I've only bought two. One was a Kubota I bought new from a dealership about 25 miles from my house. The other was a Case 210B I found online and had to go 100 miles to pick it up.

John Deere, New Holland, and Challenger are 30 mile away. Two IH dealers 50 miles away. One told me we don't carry parts any older then the 460 and 560 series. I can get parts for my F-20 easier then I can my 450. Hum like I need a lot.

(quoted from post at 20:59:14 02/13/21) I only have to travel to my computer. I used to go to a dealer which was about 40 minutes away and they did a good job with all my requests for parts for my old tractors but most of the time they had to order from a warehouse and shipped them directly to my house. Now with the agility to order about anything on line I haven't been to a dealer in years.

About the same here. I can order from Messicks, for instance, and the part will be here in 2-3 days. It will be the right part and not a "close enough" part and while I will have to pay shipping, I won't have to pay the dealers shipping, plus his markup for handling, plus his markup for keeping the lights on. I buy a lot off Ebay where I can easily view competitive pricing and have many, many choices. I don't usually go with the rock bottom price, but look for a known seller that I can trust to deliver a decent product.

Yeah, I know that not using the local dealerships means they have a harder time staying in business. OTOH, using the local, much, much higher priced dealership means a lot more $$$ out of my pocket. You have to think of your own pocketbook too you know.

I seldom buy anything from the local John Deere dealer 8 miles away since I put it all in CRP and sold the 6600. I do need lawn mower pars from time to time, but since it changed hands, I hardly know anyone there anymore. If I go 30 miles, I can find a different JD dealer group or a Case IH dealer. I have Oliver's, my nearest White dealer is about 70 miles, but 5 miles further up the road is where our daughter lives, so usually stop in and say howdy when I have to go there. I try to buy a fair amount from him so when I have something I can't figure out or hard to find part He will help me out. I usually buy used parts or online.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back