How to grease front wheels on Cub, B H

all i know, is to remove the wheel. there is a cup, on the end of the axles. bump it and remove and take off the nut, and pull the wheel.

I would clean out the hub, then drill for a grease fitting between the bearings. With bearings repacked and some grease in the hub reassemble and pump some more grease in the hub after completed reassembly. Then by greasing each time you grease the tractor it will finish filling the hub. We do this all the time and saves a lot of fooling around with wheel bearing work. I also put some rear end oil in the empty cap so the oil stays thinned some while in use and as it is filled in more from the fitting.

you must have missed the days of regular front wheel brg. repacks on vehicles. same deal.

The old school way , ya pull the hubs and wash up the bearings and the inside of the hub sparkling clean and inspect the bearing and races . Then if you are right handed you take your left hand and reach in to a tub of grease and grab a half a hand full of wheel bearing grease and with the right hand you place your index finger thru the hole in the bearing and you start squishing grease into the bearings packing them full , then ya full the center of the hob with as much grease as you can stuff in , put the innner bearing in then the seal and place the hob on the spindle then the outer bears put the washer back on then the nut and run i9t up somewhat tight then back off one hole install cotter pin put the cap back on , now you good for the next thirty years. YEp your going to get DIRTY AND GREASEY .

Rustred: I'm not sure who you are referring to . I have not seen the good old stringy wheel bearing grease around in over 40 years. Besides if gun grease is good enough for bearings running thousands of RPMs and in and out of heat with pressure or weight on them it is good enough for this (wheel bearings). We have been doing them the way I described in my previous reply for 40 years with few needing service later. Most of those ran in muddy wet conditions.

i am talking exactly about what the VET just typed out. dont know where you got this grease specific deal from. plus when front brakes got worn out the wheel brgs were repacked in the procedure vet as outlined. and yes a tractor will last 30 years on a repack not like a vehicle.

Yea Gad, I was afraid of that lol. Yeah Ive done it, never liked it. On my Grandads CC Case, you unscrew the cap, put SOME grease in it then screw it back. No big deal. Same way on my 34 White 1 1/2 ton truck. wONDER WHY ihc THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE A BETTER SELLING POINT THAN THAT. even JD BACK THEN HAD A GREASE ZERK FOR THE FRONT WHEELS

Caterpillar guy, the grease in the hubs doesn't disappear. You keep pumping more and more grease in, and it has to go somewhere. That somewhere is rear seal, blowing it out and allowing water and dirt in.

Theres a couple ways around that. One, install the
seal backwards. Two, use a non-directional 3-lip
seal. John Deere had grease fittings on front
wheels up into the sixties, and we all know John
Deere is the best at everything. Third, it might have
felt seals like everything else in that era, and if so
its probably already full of water. In that case a
grease fitting would be the best thing for felt sealed
hubs.

IHC did not put a grease fitting for a reason . . . it was not needed. The old school way was to leave the sealed bearings and races alone until they failed. No big deal you pull the wheel, remove the old bearings and races and go purchase new bearings, races, and seals and reinstall as good as new. All the brands repacked the same way. It was best to have a packing tool (I never had one) that would force the grease into the bearings. If not you had to carefully roll each bearing with grease usually going around each new bearing twice or more. Bearing grease is still around and I keep a can. I have had a couple of trailer bearings go out in recent days and it was good I was prepared. I even replaced one bearing on the road . . . it can be done. My dad was in the motor pool during the second war and served in Europe. He spent most of his time repacking wheel bearings. The army had a program of repacking wheel bearings every thousand miles or so needed or not. He was good at it and he taught me how. My 2014 Ford pickup no longer has packable bearings but a bearing hub. If something goes wrong you replace the entire hub. I think I like the old way better.

Any 2WD tractor front axle or four-wheeled wagon here that didn't come with zerks in the wheel bearings got zerks put into the hubs or dust covers and got greased on schedule.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back