Howard rotavator Hn PTO questin

scherfken

New User
I am trying to hook up a Howard Rotavator to a JD 650 midsize tractor. I have it hooked up but the PTO is a few inches short. does it extend and if so what is the trick? Where is the release pin? any help would be greatly appreciated. Ken

All PTO shafts used with lifting and lowering hitch systems must telescope to accommodate the implement moving closer and farther away during hitch movement. S the existing shaft should be able to extend and contract, no pins are found to lock a shaft that I am aware of. If the shaft is a single length and obviously that, it might be part of a two shaft system. A shaft that has wear from running at a specific depth under load, can jam tight if pushed shorter into un worn/rusty dirt packed splines or drive flats. A shaft that has been twisted on the male dection can als jam as it is pushed into the female sleeve. So if it appears to have two sections, pull it apart and lube it up, or replace it. Jim

For the record the John Deere 650 is a compact tractor, not a mid-size tractor, built by Yanmar for them.

The PTO shaft on an Implement should easily slide in and out. If this was setting before you purchased it the two sliding sections may be stuck together and will require some persuasion and penetrating oil to get them sliding. You will also need to check overlap of the two sections before using. At the longest extension when the shaft is connected on both ends ideally you should have about 1/3 of each overlapping. You also need to see that the two are not bottomed out when the shaft is at its shortest operating position. Length changes as the lift is raised and lowered.

How wide is this Howard Rotovator?

I will working on getting it loose. I did not want to force it but I was also curious to see if there was a locking pin somewhere for transporting it. Thank you for the
information. Ken

The unit is 46 wide. I will look to see if I can determine why it does not move. It has not moved through a through cleaning and I did not want to force it. I was also
concerned to see if there was a locking pin but according to info I have received it appears there is not so probable just stuck.
Thank you everyone
Ken

I have (2) 4 foot offset Howard Rotovators in the yard that need a new home. Bolt up to the 1-1/8 PTO with the Genuine adapter that you might be missing. Able to raise and lower the tiller without having the tines spinning.
Work on the 8N, TO-20 and others. Work better with the Howard transmission.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back