Hp needed for chisel plow

(quoted from post at 11:19:02 03/23/23) I always heard 10 hp per shank, also.

I pulled a 11 shank chisel plow with a 105 hp 856 Farmall and a 14 shank unit with a 1086. It worked the heck out of both, with dual rear wheels, with the units
set for 10 -12 inches deep.

Like someone else said, you probably wouldn't have the traction to pull even a 3 shank unit with a 30 hp tractor.
ld man that I bought a 9 shank Graham-Hoeme from called it a "tractor killer". Removed 2 and still hard pull in sandy soil with 44 HP. Removed two more & finally could run above lowest gear with 5. This is sand to sandy-loam soil!

This post was edited by JMOR on 03/23/2023 at 09:16 am.

There's still a difference between a Graham-Hoeme and these more modern long shank twisted shovel chisel plows. I
had one before I bought my Taylor Way.

(quoted from post at 12:23:32 03/23/23) There's still a difference between a Graham-Hoeme and these more modern long shank twisted shovel chisel plows. I
had one before I bought my Taylor Way.
oes a twisted shovel pull easier?

Used to.... run mine the third day after a big big rain. Could pull it and not spin or dig a hole. SO.. third day, forth day and half the fifth day I ran the springtooth chisel, or subsoiler, or renovator.. Then it got too hard and had to stop. SO, yes you can do it, with filled tires, but only under those conditions. More hp, and heavier equipment changed it a bit but the red clay is still all but impossible till after a big rain. Working it often keeps it a bit better, but it doesnt take long for it to return to red concrete. My black gumbo, sandy loam and sugar sand are different.

Anytime you run a subsoiler, you must either cross disc or run the tiller to re level the ground.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back