Hydraulic help.

Ok, I'm a newbie, so excuse my ignorance.
I have a 1958 MF65 gas with a Bush Hog
2400qt loader. The guy I bought this setup
from told me to not use the loader
hydraulics when you're using the rear
hydraulics. No explanation other than
that's what his Dad always said. I'm
assuming that's due to the pressurized
system. Well, not remembering anyway..I lifted the
bucket off the ground to move the tractor,
then dropped the implement to the ground.
Now I can't raise or lower either these
loaded bucket or raise the rear lift arms.
Help? Does this even make sense that you
can't use both? What about snow removal
with a blade then using your bucket to
pile? Can't do that either? I'm sorry, I
probably come off as an idiot, because
it's something so simple that I've not
thought of. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. I am assuming you have a hydraulic control bolted on the top cover just under and forward of the seat to the right. If so, your lever sequence is out of order. I had a 165 with a similar setup. To use the loader, I had to have the 3 point control on the right side of the seat, between the seat and fender in constant pumping, then had the first control lever on the top cover set to divert flow to a loader valve. If I wanted the 3 point to work, I would raise the loader and then move the lever on the right of the seat out of constant pumping.

If you do not have the valve in front of the seat, I would have to see the plumbing of the lines to figure out the lever sequence.

The loader and 3 point are using the same pump for fluid. The hydraulic valve is controlling the direction of fluid flow and the action of the pump. This is why you cannot use the loader and 3 point at the same time. It is a weird setup but when you get accustomed to the lever placement, it will be no issue. I got fairly fast at switching from one function to the other.

Hopefully this helps. Posting some pictures may help determine the setup.

Ok, yes there's two side by side levers directly in front of seat, mounted on transmission housing. So, they were vertical normally, and I believe I moved the left one forward to drop the 3 point. So the right one controls the pump?

On older MF models lock the LEFT valve lever BACK for three point use only. Place it in the CENTER, and move the DRAFT lever fully UP to turn pump on again so the right valve lever will then work for loader use. If the draft lever is not fully up on control quadrant, the pump WILL shut off when the lift arms are fully raised due to internal linkage. DO NOT raise the three point with the draft lever during three point use, keep the lever down and use Position control lever.

You got good advice. The way I use mine. After staring the tractor, both center levers centered, I move the position control to constant pumping, pull the left center lever back, the three point will come all the way up and the lever will snap to the center. I push the right center lever forward to supply power to the loader controls. I can now use the loader. To use the three point I center the right lever and slip the position control out of constant pumping, pulling the left lever back allows control of the three point with the position control. I use mine to feed cattle and often have a bale on the three point and the loader. When using the loader with weight on the three point watch the three point as it will after a time allow the load to settle down. Just center the right lever and pull back on the left lever to return the three point to the fully raised position. When using the loader I find it helpful to keep a bale on the three point for ballast. My 65 diesel when equipped with chains will wade through an amazing amount of mud to feed cows.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back