Hydraulic Valve on 1954 Ford NAA

Stew54

New User
I have 1954 NAA that's been in our family for over 60 years. I learned to drive on this tractor and now I'm 72 years old and still find it magical. It seems to have all the options, suspension seat, Sherman hi/low add on gear box and an axillary hydraulic valve on the top plate. I recently got it going again after sitting for 8 years or more and plan to use it on a small farm our family purchased last year. I converted it to 12 volt, replace the rear axle seals and brakes, and changed all the fluids. It starts and runs fine. So for my question, The hydraulic valve was never been connected to a cylinder all the time my family owned it. I'm considering adding hydraulic lines to run a double acting cylinder. it appears there was only plumbing for a single acting cylinder and the return port has a small line that goes to the manifold plate. All this can be seen in the attached picture. Without really knowing and before doing some hands on checking of pressures and functions, does someone recognized the current plumbing and valve, and would it be reasonable to add lines and disconnects for a double acting cylinder??

Attachments

• IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
I have 1954 NAA that's been in our family for over 60 years. I learned to drive on this tractor and now I'm 72 years old and still find it magical. It seems to have all the options, suspension seat, Sherman hi/low add on gear box and an axillary hydraulic valve on the top plate. I recently got it going again after sitting for 8 years or more and plan to use it on a small farm our family purchased last year. I converted it to 12 volt, replace the rear axle seals and brakes, and changed all the fluids. It starts and runs fine. So for my question, The hydraulic valve was never been connected to a cylinder all the time my family owned it. I'm considering adding hydraulic lines to run a double acting cylinder. it appears there was only plumbing for a single acting cylinder and the return port has a small line that goes to the manifold plate. All this can be seen in the attached picture. Without really knowing and before doing some hands on checking of pressures and functions, does someone recognized the current plumbing and valve, and would it be reasonable to add lines and disconnects for a double acting cylinder??
Since nobody has answerred I will have a go at it. I think that is a DA valve and the unused port is set up to unload to tank via the metal tube. You need that tank line to avoid deadheading the pump when retracting the single acting ylinder..

Remove the tube, plug the tank return port on the side, and connect your DA cylinder to the two top ports. You should be good to go.

Dan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back