I need a tinfoil hat.....what about you?

NCWayne

Told my wife again tonight I need to find the best kind of tinfoil to line my hat to keep those dastardly "thought steeling rays" out....... I"m joking of course, but this afternoon I discovered yet another idea I had, but didn"t really have the time, or means, to pursue, that was marketed by someone else around the same time I had the idea for myself.

Years ago Dad and I were headed down the interstate and I saw a "No Fear" sticker on a truck for the first time. I made the comment to Dad that they needed one for Rednecks that said something like "I ain"t skeert". About 6 months later I started seeing "Ain"t skeert" stickers on the rear windows of trucks.

Today I got an email from a roll-on bed liner company that I had written to see if they might package their product in anything smaller than a quart can. See, I"ve been using it to coat the toes of my boots since around 2001 or 2002, right after I got my truck. Before I started using it I would routinely get holes in the toes, rendering the boots non-waterproof, long before the rest of the boot was worn out. I started using the bed liner after coating the bed of my truck and seeing how tough it was, and it hasn"t failed me yet. Still, I hate buying a quart of the stuff for $29 when I only need a few ounces to do a pair, or two, of boots....but if it doubles the life of a $200 pair of boots, it"s well worth it.

Anyways, I had emailed the mfg and asked about smaller containers, and made mention that I"d often thought about trying to get set up to package it in smaller containers (if they didn"t) but just didn"t have the resources to do so. In return I got an email from the mfg this afternoon with a link to the site below. They said that even thought their name isn"t mentioned this place has been pretty much doing exactly what I had suggested for years, and the product was pretty much theirs, with different labeling.

I"m not going to mention the name of the stuff when used as a bed liner on here but, believe me when I say, it works. If you wear steel toed boots, or simply work in a position that you routinely wear out the toes on your boots, give this stuff a try. The outfit at the link have it packaged in bottles small enough to do what needs to be done without a lot of waste, and that"s exactly what I was looking for myself.

Funny thing is they started doing it around the same time I started doing it on my own boots.

These are just two things I can think of that I had an idea about because I saw a potential for a profit, but didn"t have the ability to fund.....only to see someone else do it shortly after I had voiced the idea. Almost makes a fellow want to line his hat with some of that really good tinfoil to keep the "thought rays" out.....

So, what ideas have ya"ll had that you couldn"t pursue for whatever reason, and eventually became profit makers for someone else not long after you voiced the idea???? .....Maybe we can experiment and find the best brand tinfoil together.....LOL
KG boot guard

I had a dream about a blaer pickup with a rubber belt and a few months later I saw one a hay inverter .

When I was still a kid I was riding with my dad in his tractor, we were towing a baler through the village and he was having to manoeuvre the whole outfit between parked cars. (Even with the tractor drawbar offset to the left it was taking up most of the road, we are talking about an English country lane here not an interstate highway!). I asked him "Why do balers have the pick up reel offset? why isn"t the reel positioned directly behind the tractor? I am sure it would make life handier" His reaction was "Oh, why not go out and invent one?" As I say I was just a lad then , that was many years before the appearance of the new generation of "inline" small baler such as the Massey / Hesston .http://www.hesston.com/products/square-balers/1800-series-small-square-balers

A guy by me owns a fleet of semis and on the side of the cabs of all his trucks it says After No Fear comes OH $HIT!

I was thinking a couple of weeks ago, how come someone hasn't come up with a weed eater of some sort to pull behind a 4 wheeler that would whack the weeds and grass under a hot wire. Guess what, a couple of nights ago I saw an ad for such a device. It showed it whacking the grass under the fence and when it came to a post, it maneuvered around it. Something about a dollar short and a day late comes to mind.

furniture clamp boots.
to prevent them from damaging the very wood you are trying to clamp you used to have to put a small piece of wood in between so it could get damaged instead. plus the fact that it took 3 to 4 hands to set up.
a song my sister and i were making, sis calls and says someone stole our song, i told her yea, i had already heard it on the radio. ok, so how do i collect my royalties ?

When I was a teenager and didn't have a lot of expendable cash, I hated having to buy a vinyl record album just to get a couple of songs I really loved. (Never dreamed of CDs and iPods!)

I told my dad, "You ought to be able to order a custom-made album... you know, with ONLY the songs that you like on it. That way it would really be worth the cost."

He said, "That's a great idea! Somebody will do it some day and make a lot of money."

Well... we all know the name of the website that sells individual songs, don't we? ;)

Been using vicks fer years on itchy hemorrhoids,
Durnd if Preparation H didn"t come out with the cooling agent in it ....

I would like to see glue come in a tube instead of a bottle so when it is half gone, it isn't dried up to where you can't use it anymore. I buy my tire patching cement in a tube for that reason.

You may have seen these before, same idea and purpose. What you did, definitely should have been a compensated marketing idea at minimum, that opens a huge market in another area for the material manufacturer and we all know how small quantities of any product always make more profit. Very familiar with the problem, my friend an HVAC, M.E.P. technician, plumber etc, has worn the same model workboots for years and each pair gets the tips shown in the link for the same reason. When I did a search for an example of these, materials like you posted about came up first !!

I have an idea that I turned into a prototype, been tested and have a production model ready to go, I won't mention any details, going for a patent on it, but its so simple, and a certain group of a vast number of people can use it, at a very inexpensive price point, it should do very well. Like you I think along these lines and came up with a good one with this, and I am always looking at existing products, or have used products that I can determine are useful in other applications or have a simple improvement for them, only thing is, I play hardball with it, you want my idea, you'll have to pay for it, especially a big company or manufacturer, my great uncle was a career Bendix employee after WWII and has numerous patents to his name.
Boot Saver

Ive had about 3 or 4. The last one being a car wax applicator. I made one from a super ball and a buffing wheel that is used on a drill. The ball makes it easier to hold onto for applying wax to your car rather than the small pad that comes with it. A person always got finger "streaks" of wax as there was more pressure in that area when you applied it to the car surface. Oddly enough 6 months after I made mine the same idea showed up in the stores. Maybe we should make aluminum foil hats a certain way and patent them....HA HA that would show them...

Big Jt and Wayne,
I used that product on one pair of boots and wore through it fairly quick. Reapplied and wore through the second coating.

The local Red Wing store applies a different type of coating that is smooth, they charge $25. But to me it is worth it. Seems to be a lot more durable. Havent worn through it yet, I have it on a few different pairs.

Rick

(quoted from post at 08:35:02 05/29/14) Been using vicks fer years on itchy hemorrhoids,
Durnd if Preparation H didn"t come out with the cooling agent in it ....

Some people's roid problems go away after using wet wipes instead of TP.

yup and you can have all the plumbing problems those personal wipes cause. i do not allow their use in any of my rental properties. they do not readily dissolve in water and do a terrific job of plugging up main sewer lines. the sewerage treatment plants also have problems with them plugging up the impellers on their lift pumps.

My one almost claim to fame was back when I was in high school 30 years ago...I parked my truck down in the alleyway and during the winter plugged in the block heater. I always wanted to know if the cord was hooked up to power, so one day I made an adapter that had a lightbulb in it. I could now see if it was plugged in from afar. I even had it packed up and ready to mail in to Thexton or someplace like that to patent it...never put the stamp on it. Guess what almost every extension cord has these days? Yep, a lighted end. Oh well...

We had a governor once that said that he needed a tinfoil hat as someone was beaming radio waves into his office on the 9th floor.

We impeached him and booted him out of office.

I haven"t tried the stuff from the link myself, so I"m just going by what the rep told me. That said, if it"s not working, try some Herculiner bed liner.....I know it works.....Like I said in the original post, I"ve been using it on my boots since the early 2000"s and as hard as I am on my boots I have yet to wear through it.

My Dad was an equipment operator a very long time ago. It wasn't unusual for equipment manufacturers to bring their latest offerings by for the company Dad worked for to use and give them some feedback. Dad was talking to a couple of manufacturer reps and they asked if he had any suggestions for new products or improvements on existing products. He mentioned a few improvements they could make to their current products. They wrote them down. Then he said, ya know, no one makes a tractor for mowing hillsides. He said if they put smaller tires and had a wider track on their current tractors it would be a lot safer. He said the two reps looked at each other and he could tell by their expressions they were going to run with his idea. Sure enough, they came out with a LCG tractor shortly after that conversation.
I don't know if anyone else made an LCG tractor before that, but that particular company didn't.

I've made jokes about stuff that later found its way to the stores. I was at an amusement park and before getting on a roller coaster, I looked at my step son and said, "Maybe I shouldn't have had those fish tacos." Another time, I jokingly asked a store shelf-stocker if he had fat free half-n-half. These 2 items are common now, but not when I first mentioned them.

The last item, I was watching a mountain climber friend pack for an expedition. He had dehydrated this and dehydrated that. Just add water and viola, steak and lobster with all the trimmings. I joked and said it would be even better if you had some dehydrated water.
a158580.jpg

BTW, here's one I joked about that I haven't seen yet. We all know what a hog eats will affect the flavor of the meat. I told some potential customers that I pour BBQ sauce on my hog feed.

Just waiting for Smithfield Farms to try it.

About 25 years ago I put a hose fitting in the top of my mower deck. After mowing hooked up the garden hose and let it run for 5 minutes with the mower deck running at pto speed. Worked slick.
For a few years now I see them factory installed on riding and push mowers.

Way back in The late 60's we 'demoed' ( and subsequently bought) one of the very first drum mowers ever to be imported into the country, a Fahr KM4 from Germany. My mother took one look at it and said "Oh cotton bobbins!" I said "Eh?" Then she went on to explain that when I was very small, maybe about 5 years old, I had apparently been playing with my Lego bricks etc. and I had stuck two empty cotton reels together underneath a frame I had made out of Lego and said that I had invented a new grass cutter, the grass goes between the two drums and gets cut!"

I've had several brainstorms that someone else beat me to the punch on. When I was in the Corps I got the idea of getting out and starting rafting trips down the Upper Hudson Gorge. A year later, while in Okinawa, I get a copy of my hometown paper and someone else had started doing just that. I had an idea for a fire wood measuring device that went on your saw. Next week i saw and ad for almost the same thing in a magazine. Pickup bed hold downs? Someone beat me to it.

Always a day late and dollar short.

I told a buddy in college in 2002 that I thought the future of engine power and efficiency would be by replacing camshafts with actuators. I understand that a few years ago that CAT started doing just that..

Variable timing as well as variable valve lift and duration.

My mechanical friend/roommate thought it was a good idea in theory but that actuators could never be made to work that fast or with the needed amount of precision. Guess he was wrong :) Wonder what I could have gotten for it back in 2002?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back