I regret telling a friend I would replace the drive belt

Geo-TH,In

A friend has a JD riding mower, LA 255 that needed a drive belt.

No listing for LA 255 on Amazon. The JD place in town wants $30 for the V pulley in the picture.
cvphoto164189.jpg

The idler pulleys used on this mower use metric bolts. All the pulleys pairs, one V and one Flat, I've ordered from
Amazon use 3/8 bolts.

I had to cut off the metric bolts only to find out the V idler pulley needs to be 3 inch diameter. The idler pulley sets listed on Amazon are all 3.5 inches. Grrrrrr

So, I ordered two 3 inch metal pulleys. One V and one Flat pulley. Metal pulleys should last a lifetime. Look at the flat pulley in the pic, you can see a hole in the plastic. Both pulleys need replaced.

Usually you bend a mower blade, not bend the mower deck. Somehow this deck was bent. I used a big hammer and washers to get the one spindle level again.

I wish I had said NO when he asked me to fix his mower! The underside of the mower needs a good cleaning. Crap falling in my face.

The idler arm was rusted in place too.

This is my last drive belt.

Could be he's going by the labels
instead of the tag above the rear
wheel. My daughter has an LA 105
according to the labels. The tag
with the model and serial numbers
says it's a 125 and some of the
parts aren't interchangeable.

Well, I'll be in your shoes on Friday! X300 series 42 inch deck throws belt. Also, my friend is a salesman, so it is really hard to think while he is talking. We will see how it goes. Should be my last drive belt too. I sometimes think about going back to work. They give coffee breaks and the work is, hopefully, more routine. Well, just kidding about back to work.

"JD riding mower, LA 255 that needed a drive belt.". . "No listing for LA 255 on Amazon...."

John Deere did not make an LA255 tractor. Could be the reason you are having a hard time finding parts.

"JD riding mower, LA 255 that needed a drive belt.". . "No listing for LA 255 on Amazon...."

John Deere did not make an LA255 tractor. Could be the reason you are having a hard time finding parts.
I posted this in 2023.
Fixed it a very long time ago.
Why would you and Steve respond to an old post?

I posted this in 2023.
Fixed it a very long time ago.
Why would you and Steve respond to an old post?
As for myself. I need to fill my monthly annoyance quota before the the 28th. Since you now seem to be annoyed. I can check another one off.

As far as Steve goes. Maybe he will drop by later to fill you in on his excuse for annoying you.

I don't read yesterday's newspapers.
This is last year's news.
I'm not a fan of the new forum's last year's news.
It's not the forums' fault, it is the person deciding to make a post to an old thread, for whatever reason, that causes it to come to the top. This is the way the other forums I read work.

I don't read yesterday's newspapers.
This is last year's news.
I'm not a fan of the new forum's last year's news.

Everyone should do their part when it comes to recycling?

Besides every bit of the news you read about today happened yesterday or last week.

No listing for LA 255 on Amazon. The JD place in town wants $30 for the V pulley in the picture.
cvphoto164189.jpg

The idler pulleys used on this mower use metric bolts. All the pulleys pairs, one V and one Flat, I've ordered from
Amazon use 3/8 bolts.

I had to cut off the metric bolts only to find out the V idler pulley needs to be 3 inch diameter. The idler pulley sets listed on Amazon are all 3.5 inches. Grrrrrr

So, I ordered two 3 inch metal pulleys. One V and one Flat pulley. Metal pulleys should last a lifetime. Look at the flat pulley in the pic, you can see a hole in the plastic. Both pulleys need replaced.

Usually you bend a mower blade, not bend the mower deck. Somehow this deck was bent. I used a big hammer and washers to get the one spindle level again.

I wish I had said NO when he asked me to fix his mower! The underside of the mower needs a good cleaning. Crap falling in my face.

Well at least this brings up some points to consider when taking on jobs...period... Brands have a multitude of confusing model numbers, working through that you need to obtain schematics to have a reasonable idea of difficulty ahead, do parts interchange? Are they even available? Some good can come from every repost, I initially thought this was referencing the drive belt to the rear axle. I've done one on a John Deere LA series, don't know if I would again.

Well at least this brings up some points to consider when taking on jobs...period... Brands have a multitude of confusing model numbers, working through that you need to obtain schematics to have a reasonable idea of difficulty ahead, do parts interchange? Are they even available? Some good can come from every repost, I initially thought this was referencing the drive belt to the rear axle. I've done one on a John Deere LA series, don't know if I would again.
George doesn't like suggestions or to be questioned about details, but it sounds like he checked at DEERE first and didn't like the price, if he would have taken note of the part number at DEERE and searched Amazon for it he would have gotten the correct part in the first place and all the drama would have been avoided!

George doesn't like suggestions or to be questioned about details, but it sounds like he checked at DEERE first and didn't like the price, if he would have taken note of the part number at DEERE and searched Amazon for it he would have gotten the correct part in the first place and all the drama would have been avoided!
Did you miss the part this mower wasn't mine, It was a friend's?
I saved him $20 bucks on each pulley. $40 total
Wore out, it sounds to me like you are just piling on with for no reason.

I dislike reading old news.
I'm also limiting my posts on tool talk because of old posts resurfacing.

cvphoto164189.jpg

Amazon use 3/8 bolts.

I bent the deck on my S240 year before last, It would cut about 3/8 low on the outside. I recall running into a small log. After watching Taryl and some others on YouTube, I was able to get mine cutting even again. There was one guy that made a ladder type table top out of square tubing and had a sliding frame on it and he could rig his Port A Power on it and get the deck just about perfect. Upside down bottle jack could be adapted.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back