ICC numbered company vehicles

If the vehicle you are operating has ICC numbers and is used by a business isn't it required to go through a weigh station? Also wouldnt the operator be required to have the health card regardless of size or use? Considering jobs at tractor dealerships, and trailering with delivery across state lines is listed. But no mention of cdl. But I would imagine even a pickup with a single axle trailer will have DOT requirements. Maybe not class A or B, but something. Thank you in advance.

8 ton in most states.and the number they watch for is the DOT number,from that they know how many violations the company has had and what for. If you are driving for hire you probably need a cdl and a medical card

Medical cards are required for over 10,000 lbs
CDL is required for over 26,000 lbs.
So yes there is a gap where you could need a medical card and not need a CDL.
From here you would look for an exemption.
There is a list of exemptions but the two that come close to this discussion are.
There is an exemption for farmers hauling non placard loads.
There is an exemption for custom harvesters going job to job.
But I do not remember an exemption for equipment dealers delivering to farms.

If the cargo; not necessarily you; crosses a state line that makes it an interstate haul.

There are 4 classification of drivers but based on the above you would have to certify as a "interstate non-exempt" driver and would fall under federal DOT rules.

CDL's come in class A B and C.
Your state may require you to get a non CDL commercial license if you fall in the 10k to 26k gap.
In Louisiana it is a Class D license.

Scales are a state by state thing.
Here it is all commercial vehicles so anything over 10,000 lbs must stop but most in the 10k to 26k do not stop and it ain't worth the trouble most times to chase them down.
But some states are pretty strick about this and will chase you down.

Some states also have weight in motion scales where it will say whether they want you to pull in or bypass them prior to getting to the scale. NE is one of those states. MI has some version of this that they can also vary the speed through the scale if it is backing up so they don't set on the road in line. The one at New Buffalo is one of those since it has a heavy truck flow there from IN and IL. Yes IL it is only 46 miles across IN from IL on I-94. T\Other wise what John has said is pretty much the gospel on it.

Medical cards are required for over 10,000 lbs
CDL is required for over 26,000 lbs.
So yes there is a gap where you could need a medical card and not need a CDL.
From here you would look for an exemption.
There is a list of exemptions but the two that come close to this discussion are.
There is an exemption for farmers hauling non placard loads.
There is an exemption for custom harvesters going job to job.
But I do not remember an exemption for equipment dealers delivering to farms.

If the cargo; not necessarily you; crosses a state line that makes it an interstate haul.

There are 4 classification of drivers but based on the above you would have to certify as a "interstate non-exempt" driver and would fall under federal DOT rules.

CDL's come in class A B and C.
Your state may require you to get a non CDL commercial license if you fall in the 10k to 26k gap.
In Louisiana it is a Class D license.

Scales are a state by state thing.
Here it is all commercial vehicles so anything over 10,000 lbs must stop but most in the 10k to 26k do not stop and it ain't worth the trouble most times to chase them down.
But some states are pretty strick about this and will chase you down
Are the laws you are referring to specially for your state?

Some states also have weight in motion scales where it will say whether they want you to pull in or bypass them prior to getting to the scale. NE is one of those states. MI has some version of this that they can also vary the speed through the scale if it is backing up so they don't set on the road in line. The one at New Buffalo is one of those since it has a heavy truck flow there from IN and IL. Yes IL it is only 46 miles across IN from IL on I-94. T\Other wise what John has said is pretty much the gospel on it.
Actually saw a motorhome roll over the weigh in route, and get the pull in sign last week. I run with a transponder, and have scales, but still get pulled in, on a regular basis (even empty). In Washington I believe it's 14,000 and over.

No
The laws I listed are federal laws.
If the law I stated had only to do with my state I clarified that in my post such as scales are a state by state thing.
So anyone driving 10,000lbs or more needs a fed med card unless they are a farmer ?

Actually saw a motorhome roll over the weigh in route, and get the pull in sign last week. I run with a transponder, and have scales, but still get pulled in, on a regular basis (even empty). In Washington I believe it's 14,000 and over.
Is is automated? If so that motorhome may have been more of a function of the scale sensing a heavy vehicle without a transponder. Most likely they got waved through.

From what I've heard the DOT officers don't think it's cute or funny if you pull into an inspection station with a motorhome.

Is is automated? If so that motorhome may have been more of a function of the scale sensing a heavy vehicle without a transponder. Most likely they got waved through.

From what I've heard the DOT officers don't think it's cute or funny if you pull into an inspection station with a motorhome.
I'm sure you are correct, just hadn't thought of it, until I saw it.

I never said that.

What I said is everyone driving 10,000lbs or more needs a med card unless they have an exemption.
Farmer is an exemption that most closely fits this discussion but there are others.
Geez relax. I never said you said that. I was only asking a question for clarification

Geez relax. I never said you said that. I was only asking a question for clarification
I worked with a retired LEO from a western state that anything 10,000lbs or greater he applied DOT regs to....med card etc. I stopped arguing with him cuz he had a answer for why I would be ticketed and lose....so I'm not going to apply for this job....I don't think risking my legal self is really worth it. At the end of the day the state official is going win. They don't pay enough for the hassle. Thanks for the input everyone. The way I see it in a company vehicle I am for hire, and all DOT regs are going to apply. I'm passing.

The normal motorhomes are exempt in Illinois, but the "in transit", new being delivered are required to pull in

I was looking recently. Weigh scale laws vary from state to state. Some states require every vehicle commercial or not to go through scales.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323-082106.png
    Screenshot_20240323-082106.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 28

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back