Identification of Linkage Rod and Where it Belongs

ejcrist

New User
I'm working on my first restoration and it's a 1938 Allis Chalmers WC. It's missing a couple of parts in the cockpit and a few bolts here and there but it's mostly all there from what I can tell. When I got her home the other day there was a linkage rod (picture #1) laying on the deck of my trailer that I'm trying to figure out where it belongs.

I looked through every page of the shop and parts manuals and couldn't figure out where it goes. The second picture is of the area I believe it goes which is between the speed control lever and maybe the carburetor which is a Marvel-Schebler type. I'm figuring the carburetor has two possible places it could connect to which is the choke lever or throttle lever (don't know if that's what it's called). Another linkage rod that runs to the cockpit is already installed (pictures 3-5) to the throttle carb lever. The rod is a little too short to reach the carb choke lever. It doesn't make sense that it would attach to the carb's choke lever though - I'd think that one would go into the cockpit so you could control the choke. The last picture is of the front of the carb. There's an elbow on the inboard side with a threaded end that I thought might've fell off but the parts manual shows it exactly as it is on the tractor so I don't think that's the case. Not sure what that part is or does.

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd very much appreciate it. If I had a good, detailed picture of the left side of the engine I could probably figure it out, but this is all new to me it's like trying to back-engineer a UFO without having a fully assembled one you could look at. I've got some basic mechanical skills from rebuilding lawn mowers years ago but I'm just a beginner trainee when it comes to full size engines. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

cvphoto131318.jpg

cvphoto131319.jpg

cvphoto131320.jpg

cvphoto131321.jpg

cvphoto131322.jpg

cvphoto131323.jpg

JoeM has it correct EXCEPT there is NOT a spring connected to that linkage !!! Seen that tooooo many times from people who don't understand how the governor is to be adjusted. That is the choke return spring installed incorrectly on the throttle. Now, the tractor in question has an issue with the lever on the carburetor. The throttle shaft lever is on TOP instead of on the bottom like JoeM's tractor which is correct !! You've got to correct the carb first !!!

Very true Dr!, that picture is about 22 years old, when I first brought it to my house from my wifes great grandpas farm. Many, many farm repairs and
nails for cotter keys have been fixed since then! It was the only pics I had handy in my computer.

(quoted from post at 16:19:26 07/24/22) Very true Dr!, that picture is about 22 years old, when I first brought it to my house from my wifes great grandpas farm. Many, many farm repairs and
nails for cotter keys have been fixed since then! It was the only pics I had handy in my computer.
******* Not picking on you !! You have no idea how many tractors I've seen like that over the last 45 yrs !!! When I got done fixed them up correctly, they couldn't believe it was the same tractor !!!

Thanks Joe. The throttle lever on mine is on top so good to know that part is correct, and I can install the linkage and that part should be good. This brings up a second question though since there's currently a linkage which I believe is intended for the throttle that's connected to the carb governor lever now (see picture #3 - it runs up along the side to the right side of the dash), and that is where does the linkage from the throttle in the cockpit connect to on the carburetor? Or is it supposed to connect to the carburetor at all or go somewhere else? Please bear with me on this since my only experience is with lawnmower carburetors so that's where I'm drawing my carburetor/throttle understanding from. I've got the shop and parts manuals so I'll look through those as soon as I send this but if it's easy enough to explain and you could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Gene
cvphoto131422.jpg

cvphoto131423.jpg

cvphoto131424.jpg

The other rod should be your choke rod, it goes from the choke lever on the carb to the rod you see just crossing just behind the ammeter, it crosses the tractor and then a longer rod goes up to the casting for the throttle control and ends in a finger loop, the other rod and loop were for the magneto ground tab to kill the engine. Many of those are gone after the mag has been replaced with a different one

Last picture of the painted pretty tractor is NOT CORRECT !!!! The throttle shaft lever needs to be DOWN, NOT UP !! That throttle shaft is incorrect for that tractor !!!

Ok, good deal. That takes care of the governor and the choke. One last question and then I think Ill be good-to-go. I was looking over the shop manual and it looks like the throttle linkage starting in the cockpit runs down the right side of the engine and gets connected to the speed control lever on the front left side of the governor housing - is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help.

Gene

(quoted from post at 19:23:00 07/24/22) Ok, good deal. That takes care of the governor and the choke. One last question and then I think Ill be good-to-go. I was looking over the shop manual and it looks like the throttle linkage starting in the cockpit runs down the right side of the engine and gets connected to the speed control lever on the front left side of the governor housing - is that correct?

Thanks again for all your help.

Gene
***That would be keyrect.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back