Ignition switch and wiring

3nails4life

New User
I have a 69 3000 diesel tractor that I want to wire the ignition switch to operate the solenoid and starter only. What ignition switch do I need and how does the wires need to be run. I would like to do away with the remaining wires as I have no lights and I’m going to mechanical gauges.
 
I have a 69 3000 diesel tractor that I want to wire the ignition switch to operate the solenoid and starter only. What ignition switch do I need and how does the wires need to be run. I would like to do away with the remaining wires as I have no lights and I’m going to mechanical gauges.
What about the charging system, you going to eliminate that? You might want to look at where the temperature sender is and the size of the port in the head before you decide on a mechanical temp gauge, if you haven't.

Does it start and run now? The same solenoid and switch you have will work. You can work from the light switch to out to the lights to eliminate the wires for lights. If you keep the original generator charging system there are a number of wires related to that you need.

Do you have a manual with the wiring diagrams? You can use the diagrams to figure out what you can eliminate and what you need to keep for designing the wiring harness you want.
 
I have a alternator with 1 wire going to the solenoid and the positive battery cable is also hooked to it. I’m connecting the temperature gauge to a port on my water pump.
 
The light switch should be a separate switch from the key switch if that part of the tractor is original. If it is a diesel, the only wires on the key switch should be power coming in, the wire going to neutral safety start switch, which then goes on to the solenoid, and if it has the thermostart cold weather starting aid, which was an option, a wire going to that.
 
Last edited:
That water port on the water pump is on the suction side, a temperate gauge connected there will only read coolant temps coming from the radiator, not actual engine temperatures
Some have a plug at the back of the intake manifold where a gauge can be installed
You can use the factory switch by using only the battery and start terminals of the switch
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top