Thanks in advance for any advise , I have a 300U that doesn t steer correctly, it is hydro powered so I don t know if it is the power steering pump or the steering colum that needs repair. Can a manual steering unit be installed and will it work in the space or do I need to keep the power assist steering and work out the problem.
when I turn to the right the left wheel turnsand the right just drags and when I turn the opposite the left wheel drags. I checked the fluid levels and the steering unit was dry, so i filled it and lifted frontend off ground and turned the wheels back and forth , still had the drag problem, and about an hr later all the fluid was leaking onto the ground so it looks like all the seals are bad. If the rear hyd lift works , does that mean the hyd. pump is good? all hyd. run off the same pump and hyd tank under the seat. What am I not seeing?? Thanks for any ideas or knowledge you can give, email direct at [email protected]. Thanks again, tractor newby out.

I own a 350U with that steering. If the wheels are not moving in synchrony, there are likely teeth off of one or the other of the two gears that mesh to make the arms move opposite of each other. I attach a diagram from Caseih.com parts. The gears are not to be found. A manual steering (if found) will fit no issue. However they are not easy to steer with manual steering, and those are also weak.
Taking it apart will find the problem (not easy to take out, easy to disassemble once out. Finding someone to weld up and mill the broken tooth is one option. If it has a loader on it, remove it and never put it back. The steering can be broken easily and a loader is a cause. I do know that few if any gears are going to be found. A whole unit maybe. They fail, so most used are either worn, or already in a different tractor. A manual steering box with help from adapted power steering from http://www.jacksonpowersteering.com/ may be a help. He was working on a solution, but I have not heard if he made it work, call him. Jim

Thanks, i have removed the unit from the tractor , just didn t want to tear it apart and not be able to find parts to rebuild. So Thank you , I am gathering my courage and will start to disassemble the unit. Thanks again.

If the loader lifted the front wheels off the ground then the pump is probably fine. If you jacked it up you didn't say which. I assumed you used a loader by the wording.

This no help at all,but I have been thinking about an electric P/S rack and pinion from a car or truck. My 300U is fine, but it won't last forever.

Interesting! The radius arms on the top of the spindle uprights would need to be re designed to use a behind the axle location. the tierods would need to clear the front axle supportY and the steering shaft would need some serious thought. Two of the same racks could be positioned to push on one side and pull on the other to use existing links rearward. But the driving of one CCW and the other CW still requires thinking!. If a manual box was used the linkage type power steering from say a 1958 ford full size car would work to assist both sides. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back