IH 3414 Hydro Help

emiller

New User
Hello Folks,
I'm hoping someone out there has an IH 3414 with a hydrostatic transmission that can help me to understand what about my transmission is correct and what is not.
The tractor has a 4 speed (I believe) transmission. There are also 2 pedals on the left side, one for forward and one for reverse.
The linkage is very sloppy, so I will be working on fabricating/repairing the linkage parts.
Currently the tractor will not drive forward unless the reverse pedal is lifted up on. I think this is due to the slop in the linkage.

Question 1, what configuration does the tractor need to be in to shift gears in the transmission? Currently, the only way I can shift is if the tractor's engine is stopped. If I try to shift while running it
grinds gears. Both pedals can be depressed simultaneously, so I assumed that was to disengage the transmission so it could be shifted, but doesn't seem to work.

Question 2, should the tractor stop and hold position when in gear, running and neither pedal depressed like the hydro on a lawnmower? Currently, as soon as the pedals are released the tractor freewheels.

If the tractor is on an incline and driving forward, as soon as the pedal is released, the backhoe will roll backward rather than holding position.

Question 3, does the hydro use the same hydraulic fluid from the tank in front of the fuel tank, or is it a separate system?

I currently have moisture in the system (milky fluid) that I plan on flushing over the next week.
I would love to pick the brain of somebody who has one of these tractors with the hydro transmission!

I haven't located the data plate yet (it might be gone) because it is not on the right bell housing as it should be. So I don't know serial number, and therefore year.

Thanks!

Erik
cvphoto168845.jpg
 
While I don't know much about these I at least have to try to help. There isn't a whole lot of knowledge on the IH construction equipment out there, at least not anymore. Machines like yours are pretty much orphans.

I've never heard of an IH hydro with more than 2 ranges so I did a little digging. In the little bit of research I've done, I can't find any reference to a hydrostatic transmission. There's an 8-speed "forward and reverse drive", a 6-speed and a 6-speed "torque converter" transmission.

I think what you have is the 8 speed forward and reverse drive, which I don't think is a hydro. Why would a hydro need so many gears? What I'm thinking is the pedals just control the forward and reverse clutches in some sort of "shuttle" transmission.

Unless there is a discrete "clutch" pedal in addition to forward and reverse, I would have to imagine that foot off the F-R pedals would allow you to change gears. There may be some sort of transmisison brake that isn't doing its job, or it may be because of the slop in the pedals it's not really in "neutral."

Your best bet is to go ahead and order an owner's manual and a service manual for it. They appear to be about $30 each from reputable vendors.
 
It's not actually a hydrostatic transmission but a four speed with hi-lo range. Mine had the shuttle shift ahead of the transmission, forward and reverse in any gear with a small lever. What you have is actually a torque/reverser in place of a conventional clutch. The pedals operate the throttle.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top