IH 384 fourth gear split

TrentB

New User
I have an international 384 with worn quill gear bearings. Do I have to split the tractor at the engine or can I just split it at the clutch housing/transmission.

Hi have a look a the link below foy Youtube video of disassembly of B414 transmission that is the same as 384.

You can actually send Dave a message via his youtube and he will usually answer your question.
B414 Trasn

Hello Trent welcome to YT! Cannot answer your
question directly. I have access to a pdf manual I will
share with you that covers your tractor. It covers
multiple models so it is not real clear to me what needs
done to do this task without seeing the tractor. You will
have to send me an email and I will reply with a link.
Since the host of this forum provide it add free and
also sell manuals I will not step on their toes by placing
the open link here. I will say the manual is not the
greatest due to the photos in it are dark. To email me
you have to be logged in to see the email buttons in
the bottom of my reply box.

Thanks Jim I have already watch several of his videos I had considered asking him directly, but havent yet. Is does look like from his vids that if I take the snap ring off of the pto shaft that I would be able to split it between trans and clutch housing.Red I have already purchased those pdf manuals but as you stated they arent the greatest.

This post was edited by TrentB on 09/04/2023 at 11:31 am.

Haven't watched the video but does he show splitting the tractor at the clutch or just at the transmission? If he split it at the clutch for whatever reason, odds are he doesn't know if you can skip that stip.

Hi Trent,
I looked at the CaseIH.com parts for 384 transmission drive gears and item #13 is the Quill Gear with two bearings.
I read my service manual for B275 thru 384 and if I understand it correctly you have to split tractor at the clutch housing and move engine half forward and you also are required to remove the transmission cover with the gear
shift off, now the top cover will not come off without lifting the 3pt housing up about 4 in the front. You have to lift the 3pt housing straight up and put a couple 2x4s across underneath the housing to hold it up far enough
to remove the top cover of the transmission.
There is a Youtube video somewhere of removing 3pt housing on an IH 434 same as 384.

Also this link: https://www.anglo-agriparts.com/bradford-built-international-harvester-major-brake-overhaul

I have never performed this repair but back in the 1970s my Dad had an IH 434 with an IH 1501 loader on it that was used everyday to feed milk cows silage. Sometime in the early 1980s it started popping out of second gear when
you were going down a hill with a load behind it. We investigated the procedure to repair it and the cost of the parts and the approximate time the tractor we be out of service. When Dad went to the local IH Dealer to order the
parts he noticed they had a slightly used 384 with 1550 loader and he made a deal with the Salesman for the 384, so we never had to do the repair.
384 Trans Gears

Barnyard, no the videos didnt show exactly what i was asking, I did watch a few and basically piece together what i was asking.I did comment on one of Daves videos and he did answer quickly and said it was doable.

Jim, the hydraulic assembly was tricky without some type of hoist but I did finally block it up high enough to get the shift cover off. This tractor originally was stuck in fourth and I had hoped to just dislodge it and not use fourth. After freeing up fourth I realized the quill bearings were really too worn to just ignore. I will probly still put this back together as is right now as I only need it occasionally and then try the split later if I can get all of the parts.

hey folks my384 has a shuttle shift on it I have not seen it before anybody help me
Hello firefly, welcome to YT! Can’t help you unless you tell us what you want help with! :) This is my standard reply to new users I hope by saying it this way it helps you remember it better. On a forum like this when seeking help please remember, you are the only one that sees the machine and what the issue is. On are end we can only interpret it by the words you have typed.
Secondly, it would be best to start your own new thread and describe what you want help with there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back