IH 584 Hydraulic Fluid Change, Parking Band, Other Maint.

RTR

This message is a reply to an archived post by Bernard le mecano on July 03, 2013 at 14:41:07.
The original subject was "Re: IH 684 Hydraulic Fluid Change Parking Band".

[i:654c4848f0]Bernard le mecano
07-03-2013 14:41:07

Re: IH 684 Hydraulic Fluid Change Parking Band in reply to StuartR, 07-02-2013 12:53:50
HI,you can change the brake band with the cab in place. Remove the fuel tank, seat and seat plate, remove all the hydrolic pipe and all the bolts. Normally, with a helper, you can remove the hitch cover by hand, one in the cab and another in the rear of the tractor.. With a car engine hoist, it work fine. Make sure to lift the cover enough, it have a spring under for the draft control You have to remove the PTO clutch pack, to slide the band out, dont pull or twist. Change the gasket and the 3 teflon ring, maybe Oring also. Bernard le mecano Quebec Canada

-------------------------
outdoors
07-03-2013 16:51:55

Re: IH 684 Hydraulic Fluid Change Parking Band in reply to Bernard le mecano, 07-03-2013 14:41:07
Bernard,

I always enjoy reading your posts concerning the 74 and 84 series tractors. This was such a common problem that I wish someone would do an instructional video for brake band replacement. It is really one of the few weaknesses of these great old tractors. I sure wish that they had of fitted a mechanical park brake instead of that band.

-------------------------

Bernard le m?cano
07-04-2013 15:42:13

Re: IH 684 Hydraulic Fluid Change Parking Band in reply to outdoors, 07-03-2013 16:51:55
Hi, the problem with the parking brake on 54 and 84 serie it"s not strong enough to hold the tractor and stall the engine if you try to go with the park on. I"ve fix many but I"ve installed a buzzer and a flashing light on the dash before the tractor leave the shop. They update with the 85 serie with a band on the rear differentiel carrier, better breaking force. Yes a mecanical park is the best but much pricey to repair if the lock engage in run. Bernard le mecano Quebec Canada [/i:654c4848f0]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b:654c4848f0]Very good information here. I too have a European IH 584 tractor (in Alabama, USA) with the Cab. I'm doing a mild restoration of the tractor and will be removing the ROTTED cab to make it an open station. With this work, the gas tank will also come off. I did notice when I got the tractor running for the first time that the hydraulics worked but either acted like they were low on fluid or had air in them or something. Not very responsive. I am planning on doing a fluid and filter change, BUT should I just go for it and fix the parking brake & o=rings there too?? Since I'm going to have those parts and the cab off I am thinking I should. I'm sure the parking brake doesn't work at all.

I will say that I am going to be needing some suggestions. I know this is an older thread, so hoping some of you are still here and can chime in as well as others that are experienced with this. [/b:654c4848f0]

...and while you're inside the transmission doing the brake band, if you really want to get everything right, take off the MCV and then shovel all the crud out of the bottom of the housing. Then remove the mesh screen from the lube pump and clean it with brake cleaner (it's likely all clogged up with what used to be your brake band).

Yes I will do that. Do you have any guidance or pictures on all of this???

I strongly recommend buying a reprint of the IH service manual for your tractor. They're not very expensive and are worth every penny in reduced frustration.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back