IH 584 parking brake

pbmps

New User
Need help with replacing parking brake band. I had the band relined now it wont go back on. THe IH repair manual has no info at all on the parking brake,not even a pic.Does anyone know the thickness of the friction material and maybe dia. of the drum. Is there a trick to replacing band on drum??? HELP

When you say, "won't go back on," do you mean that you can't pull the ends back together and drive the pin into the toggle, or that it won't fit between the drum and the side of the casting? There's not a lot of extra room around that band, so it takes a bit of wiggling to get it in there and properly positioned. I think the last time I did one of these I had to use a piece of wire to pull the ends together before I could get the pin to go in.

My IH shop manual shows the removal and reinstallation procedure; it's in the transmission section, not the brakes section, if I recall correctly.

Is the adjustment screw backed off completely? It adjusts with a bolt on the lever used for the handle you pull up. I think it is a screw driver slot with a nut to turn to back it off. That should help with length to fit.

I had to sand the lining down to make it go on the drum. I saw somewhere that the lining was .250.It cant be more that .1875 or less. And yes there is little room between the housing and drum. Thanks for the suggestions.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back