IH D282 Precups

gnoah

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by 560Dennis on March 24, 2023 at 09:29:48.
The original subject was Re: IH D282 Precups.

Just to clarify you are taping threads into the pre cup for your puller to have something to grab onto. Were you able to reuse the pre cups after threading them or did you have to replace them?

Thanks,

Gnoah

Hello gnoah welcome to YT! Weird that Modern view did not pick up the original post. That is garble to you, only understood by the regulars here. I will link the original post you are referring to. Hopefully Dennis will be along to answer. My guess would be that they can be reused.
Untitled URL Link

Yes ,I did reuse the pre up , I dont know off had what the percentage of thread are ? Im not at home ,in Kansas for son in laws retirement from army this week . I wont leave you hanging. But Im not able to take pictures of my pulling processes. We are machinist and have a special puller to thread into the cup . I guess you could use the tap if you can grip it with a slide hammer process a lot of details ,I need to tell you .
Please put a rag or towel in bottom of cup so metal chips from lightly tapped surface of precup do not go into cylinders. Vacuum out cylinders also.
Replace the sealing rings ,
I use a dental tools ( pick set ) to scrape the carbon around the pre up and bore in head. I also soak the bore with sea foam suppose dissolve carbon .
Dont get in a hurry let it work 24 hours of soak , I think it helps but no way to say positive.
Sorry all out of order , but Im trying to to remember all the details
Moral-is, werent not going to pull the head to get the precups out , that the intent anyway.
Dont know if my email is on ,but if you want email or call me to talk me ,about your project ,Im willing to discuss it . I always learn something.

This post was edited by 560Dennis on 09/28/2023 at 07:00 am.

560Dennis,
Thank you for your reply. I havent yet attempted to try to remove my precups yet but they are all rotated at a different direction and seem to be stuck. Ill start soaking them. Im not in a hurry yet because Im still trying to locate some injectors. Mine are the early style with 3/4 hex. I definitely have two bad ones the other 4 test within spec. So far I can only find the later version with 9/16 hex rebuilt for around $1,400 a set. Id really like to find two good early versions and see this tractor run before dumping s ton of cash into it.

Thanks for the reply, G .
Help you any way I can to hopefully avoid having to spend a a lot is my intention. When youre ready get to get them out ,ask for ideas. . Been about 6 years since I did this so I forget some steps ,you questions will help me with recalling some tips .
I would recommend as see if you can get the sealing rings coming prior so . Only thing I remember doing as far as selling rings goes .
Also this these issues were the reason I got into this project.
I had the injectors checked out by heritage diesel ( theres other competent diesel repair ,I just used heritage) while he did pump work for me .
I had number two cylinder leaking seal ( replaced seals ) . Was one issue to correct on the 560 also the Roosa pump leaked .

Did I put a photo of the tap I used in the achieved post ?

560Dennis,

Yes you did have a photo of the tap and puller setup. Ill have to go back and look but I think it was a 1-1/4-12 unf bottom tap. Im wondering if the precups could also be knocked out from the other side if I pulled the head.

Thanks Again,

Gnoah

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back