IH300 u brakes

I need to fix the brakes on my good old 300 utility.I have searched and looked but I cant find what brake parts I need to buy.
I need the part number for the fiber disk and how many per side do I need to get. what other parts should I get?
Thanks
 
Good time to change the oil seals if there has been any leakage. Each side has 2 springs and they can break. Some people just put on new ones no matter what they find.
 
Clean the ball tracks in the expanders. MAke sure the weird springs holding the expanders together are good. Set the housing on the workbench open side up (on a couple of supports so it is stable, then place all the components into the housing in the order they need to be when on the tractor. Now put a straight edge across the opening and measure down to the top friction disc. The best is about 1/32" or .030" it should not be more than about .050" or it will not work as well as you need, or as long as you want. The pull links that turn the expander halves in opposite directions are at a bad angle when the clearance is too great. The wear on the pinion cage at the tractor, on the expander, and the housing all contribute to this additional clearance. to get the clearance under control, it is necessary to have the mating surface of the housing machined to reduce the clearance. Jim
 
Just make sure to measure everything like Jim recommended, if not, you may get into a situation where you have a lock-up condition with minimal or no braking before the lockup. On my 300u one side had .040" after new discs and the other side had .070" due to wear in the actuators and cover etc. I took off .040" to get it down to the .030" dimension. The brakes work really well now (for what they are), but when I first bought it the brakes were non-existent, and sometimes it would just lockup if you pressed it hard enough trying to stop.
 
Grading final exams. My semester was nasty. I had to change total formats from lab experiences to Youtube and videos. they then had to be doing modules on weld types, lathe operations, computer aided design projects turned into sketching and written exams delivered on a "educational" distance learning platform. I have been sitting too much. Jim
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top