IH350U fan Pulley Timing marks.

Mtjohnso

In the manual for the IH 350U it shows 2 pictures of the fan pulley and the marks for TDC, 16, 22 and 30 degrees advanced.
The pulley my fan pulley only has 2 marks on it. When I bring the number one cylinder up to what I think is TDC per the marking on the fan pulley, the cylinder is not all the way to the top of the stroke.
I did replace the timing gear and sure thought I had everything aligned but maybe not.
Do either the timing gear is misaligned or I have the wrong fan pulley on the engine.
Thoughts?

In the manual for the IH 350U it shows 2 pictures of the fan pulley and the marks for TDC, 16, 22 and 30 degrees advanced.
The pulley my fan pulley only has 2 marks on it. When I bring the number one cylinder up to what I think is TDC per the marking on the fan pulley, the cylinder is not all the way to the top of the stroke.
I did replace the timing gear and sure thought I had everything aligned but maybe not.
Do either the timing gear is misaligned or I have the wrong fan pulley on the engine.
Thoughts?
The first mark should be the advance mark for High Idle. The second mark should be TDC. (best I can recall) 350U owner). Jim

Thoughts?
The first thing I would suspect is that your other two timing marks are hiding under dirt and grease. The way that the frame closes in fairly close to the pully allows for built up crud to start to run onto the pulley filling in the marks. I was missing marks on both of my utilities. The 350u cleaned up fairly quickly, but the 300u I had to run a scraper around a few times until I finally felt it catch a little. Then I had to take a pick just to chip the crud out of the way. If you are using a hand crank to turn the engine, TDC will be the first mark to come around. If you are turning the motor using the fan belt, you have to push the top blade away from you to get the first mark to be TDC. If you are pulling the top blade towards you the last mark will be TDC. I'm including a picture of the crank pulley from my 350u. The picture is taken with me laying on my back underneath the tractor and the marks are heading "up" to the timing pointer

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_165715404.jpg
    IMG_20240514_165715404.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The first thing I would suspect is that your other two timing marks are hiding under dirt and grease. The way that the frame closes in fairly close to the pully allows for built up crud to start to run onto the pulley filling in the marks. I was missing marks on both of my utilities. The 350u cleaned up fairly quickly, but the 300u I had to run a scraper around a few times until I finally felt it catch a little. Then I had to take a pick just to chip the crud out of the way. If you are using a hand crank to turn the engine, TDC will be the first mark to come around. If you are turning the motor using the fan belt, you have to push the top blade away from you to get the first mark to be TDC. If you are pulling the top blade towards you the last mark will be TDC. I'm including a picture of the crank pulley from my 350u. The picture is taken with me laying on my back underneath the tractor and the marks are heading "up" to the timing pointer
I disagree with respect. If standing on the distributor side, looking at the pulley flange turning (by a second person) the flange will be moving upward. The piston moving upward on #1. The first mark will touch the pointer when high idle advance timing is encountered. Piston not fully up. The second mark is TDC, timing for static (Stopped) initial setting. There is no reason to have a after TDC mark. Jim

Thoughts?
Timming gears won't change crank and piston position. Turning engine normal running rotation, the last notch after others pass pointer is TDC. Some pulleys had three notches. TDC, next gasoline and then distillate or kerosene full advance. Later added another mark between TDC and gasoline notch for LP engines. If someone put a Farmall pulley the marks would be off because pointer is at a different place on engine. If a H pulley was installed with only 2 notches the water pump or pulley assembly would need changed to use a standard fan belt. If notches not there they were missed when machined most likely unless engine swapping of parts done in past.

o_O BTDC means advancing the timing before the piston hits TDC so the first mark coming around is an advance mark. easy to check it for yourself use a straw or screw driver and feel the piston coming up and u will see it will be the last mark.;)

I disagree with respect. If standing on the distributor side, looking at the pulley flange turning (by a second person) the flange will be moving upward. The piston moving upward on #1. The first mark will touch the pointer when high idle advance timing is encountered. Piston not fully up. The second mark is TDC, timing for static (Stopped) initial setting. There is no reason to have a after TDC mark. Jim
I'm never lucky enough to have a second person to help out. I most certainly am backwards on what I said for the marks though. You can actually see that the TDC line has been painted orange back when I did the static timing on the 350u. As for what in the world I was thinking when I wrote that I'm not sure, I claiming earlier onset dementia.
When I get back home next week I'm going to have to dig through my pulley pile, but I'm almost positive that the 300u-350u only came with 2 different pulley options. Only difference between the two is that one was set up for front PTO and one wasn't.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back