Illinois Trailer License Problem

John B.

I have a single axle 5 x 10 tilt flat trailer I bought in 2013 and just today I went to renew the license sticker and the VIN has been
assigned to someone's boat trailer in Elmhurst IL. Evidently during this nnalert BS some one has typed in the VIN in the wrong box at the secretary
of state's office while working at home. Now I have to take the title to the license bureau to show proof and get advise. I suspect I'll have to send in
the title so they can correct it in the state's system.

Anyone ever run into this?

Yes, it happens too often.

Usually it's the technician at the dealership that you pay to finalize the paperwork.

They screwed up the VIN number on my 01 Silverado, I didn't catch it until years later when the inspection procedures changed. They scanned the VIN on the dash and it didn't match the registration.

The inspector said had anything happened, the truck been towed, or any contact with the police, it would have been impounded until a new title was issued, which would have racked up thousands in storage fees.

I had to drive with expired tags for 3 months waiting on a corrected title, cost me $30something dollars to fix their mistake.

The DMV told me if I had caught it within so many days it would have been corrected free.

Good luck...

(quoted from post at 15:59:57 04/30/21)The DMV told me if I had caught it within so many days it would have been corrected free.

That's just wrong. The damage from their mistake doesn't have a time limit, so why should their accountability for the mistake?

DON'T ANSWER THAT -- it's a rhetorical question only!! *lol*

I forgot to add to my original post. The sticker cost is $160 I believe she said then she told me I can get an 8000 lb Forever Plate for $34. Yes only $34.

I saw a single axle trailer with s/t semi trailer plate. Think that will be your $34 plate. But what ever pulling is has to have B truck plates or larger.

Yes the lady at the license bureau told me it is a semi plate and I have a B plate on my truck. Sometimes what the state of IL comes up with don't make sense to me. But who am I??

So your trailer title and trailer have matching vin since 2013??

And the dmv wants you to change the vin number??

Versus correcting their mistake and making the elmhurst guy change or get a new vin???

I once bought a pickup on an auction here in Nebraska.

After I got home and went through the paperwork, I found the VIN on my bill of sale didn't match the VIN on the cowl of the pickup. I checked the VIN on a sticker on the driver's door and it did match.

Obviously, the door had been changed at some time, and whoever did the paperwork at the auction got the VIN off the door.

I called the auctioneer, expecting to get an apology and have it corrected. Instead, when I brought it to the auctioneer's attention, he blew up. He said his wife had done the paperwork, accused me of calling his wife a liar, and harangued me in general for about ten minutes. I finally hung up. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

I went to the County Sheriff's office. A deputy checked the paperwork, changed the VIN on the bill of sale, and signed it. He told me if I had a problem when I went to get the title at the Treasurer's office to have them call him. There was no problem from then on, and I got a title with the proper VIN.

All in a day's work, I guess.

I bought a 1976 Dodge pickup new and drove it until 1984 when it was totaled in a wreck. No issues with title, vin, or registration until the wrecking yard that had the salvage called me and said the vin didn't match the truck. They had the original title given to me when it was paid off, and I happened to have the original bill of sale as well. All paperwork had the same number on it, but different from the one on the truck. Evidently I got the wrong truck, or someone recorded numbers off of another one. I don't know how they reconciled that one, I told them it was their problem since they had paid for the salvage. Never heard anything else. There wasn't enough left to reclaim it anyway, so it was eventually crushed I bet.

That's a rarity Goose , a public official that will take responsibility for a problem and then follow through with a solution .
Almost warrants buying a lottery ticket .

(quoted from post at 23:12:35 05/01/21)
That's a rarity Goose , a public official that will take responsibility for a problem and then follow through with a solution .
Almost warrants buying a lottery ticket .

Well Charles, what's not a rarity is that it takes someone from Australia to understand what the governments here in the States is doing. lol

My niece ran into something similar, she had the wrong year for her birthday on her driver's license (too young). She didn't notice until she moved out of state and applied for an enhanced license. She had to work with two states to get things straightened out. She learned the hard way why it is important to actually check everything when the clerk asks her to verify that all the info is correct.

I cashed in an investment. Stock broker's secretary scerwed up my SS#.
Once we get that issue resolved I fired him. He fired his secretary. I think she was dyslexic. She had make other mistakes involving numbers.
George

When at Harvester we traded in a truck we had sold 5 years before. When inspected the number did not match the Md. title that was missing one number. We eventually had to drive to the DMV and have a special vin plate attached. It was impossible for them to add the one missing number to the title.

You might get the best cooperation by bringing both the title and the trailer to the DMV to prove they both have the same VIN number. Verify that they do actually match first, LOL. That should give them some additional information to help sort things out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back