Im a new registrar

Im a newly registered member , and I enjoy old Ford tractors discussions, I bought my first ever 8 n , my grandad wore three of em out the bought a golden jubilee, I grew up left the farm and he passed some 20 years ago my wife and I coming home from church saw this 1950 8 n for sale for 1600.00 bucks with 4 attachments, the old fella liked us and said 1400.00 cash ,well I bought it got it home a storm hit trees were downed no power so I started helping drag the pieces of firewood sized limbs for the power company 45 min into this , backfiring going dead no power I pushed to the shed , and gave up it wouldnt crank , 3 years later I had heard all I could stand about wasting our money , remembering my old grandad I broke out all hands on deck plus all tools , #4 plug never fired I was taking the manifold off and at the #4 plug when I pulled the last bolt out dumped all the antifreeze in my lap , any ideas

Some of the manifold studs go into the water jacket so common thing to happen.

Being a 1950 it could be front mount of side mount distributor and the fix can be different on them. So giving that info helps us help you

Welcome Ronald!

Where did the antifreeze come from exactly?

The spark plug hole?

The manifold itself?

Or the hole from the bolt that holds the manifold on?

If the bolt hole, that is normal.

Was it smoking/steaming out the exhaust, sweet antifreeze smell?

If no, chances are all it has is an ignition or fuel problem.

Hello Ron, welcome to YT! You have went and exposed
yourself by giving your full name way more then many folks
on here like to, some do not even like to tell you the corner
of a state they live in. Enough about that, I am not a Ford
guy but as many on here I have basic engine knowledge
having been a former mechanic. It is nice to know the
background of your tractor and how long you owned it that
is sometimes helpful information. But, there seems to be a
little detail missing about what all has been done since you
decided to try getting it going again. So for one a little
clarification about the term you used ..would not crank.. in
my experience that means the starter does not turn the
engine. Some use that term to mean the engine turns but
will not start or run, which seems to me how you are using
it. Only other thing you tell us is it does not fire on number
4 cylinder and now you are pulling the manifold. So we
need just a little more detail and filling in the blanks please.

man I wasnt sure anyone was listening,but the water came out so fast I believe the block port , two weeks ago I changed the points front mount distributor and coil , new gas charged battery , I was surprised it fired right up , run 10 min go dead , gas dumping out of carb , with very little knowledge the floats were crushed flat , I watched a you tube video , went to Napa they had the exact same float only one they had set it at 14 inch from gasket , now I can leave the gas valve on without losing all my gas but to get the correct carb setting should I replace the tach it needs one dont work any how Ive got around 19 psi oil pressure

ALWAYS turn the gas off when you park it. Seen more then one that had 5 plus gal. of gas/oil mix in the oil pan from sitting few days and starting one with that can mean a blown engine

Welcome to the YT board. You may not have noticed that we have a special section for the N tractors. There is a lot of knowledge available from the many guys who have kept the N's alive. I bought my early (1947) 8N in 1970 and that was way before the internet and the supportive good advice. The engine was well worn out on my tractor, but it helped me build my house anyway. I still own that tractor (kind of like your first born kid... you'd just never sell him or her). It still does some useful work, although my tractor interest has increased through the years. So I think I have 10 tractors now and use 4 of them for field work. Many of us have caught the old tractor disease. Rumor has it, this disease can't be cured, you won't die from it, but you'll probably still have it when you go knocking on the pearly gates.

Ask away, we want to help. But to get good answers we need details and pictures are really helpful. You'll have to make about 5 posts before the admin allows pictures to be included (sort of a way to eliminate bad actors from posting unsavory photos).

What part of the country are you located in?

Paul in MN

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back