Initial start-up

troyr

Member
Trying to start my '39 Allis B.It ran in August, but it was real rough and it smoked real bad so I decided to overhaul and restore it.I finally got my rear wheels painted and installed.Yesterday I Decided it would be easier to pull start it rather than crank it on the initial start up.I pulled it around for a couple of hours before it got dark,And couldn't get it to fire.I got good gas flow,good spark and pretty sure I timed it right.Any advise would be great.Troy in Wa.
v5100.jpg
v5101.jpg
 
I think you have the wrong firing order. You should have 1-2-4-3. Hal
PS: You need to see which way the rotor rotates
you probably need to bring No1 piston near the radiator to TDC on the compression stroke. Then see where the rotor is pointing. It should be at your No1 plug wire on the cap. Run some 320 wet or dry through the points too.
 
Now,

I don't know squat about that Allis and I'm probably all wet here, but that firing order just doesn't look right to me.

If you're pull starting, it should be running within 10 feet if everything is right.

What's the firing order supposed to be on that little tractor anyway?

Allan
 
If the rotor turns CCW your plug wires need to be in this firing order on the cap: Hal
1-3
2-4

If it turns CW they need to be in this firing order:
3-1
4-2
 
Are the valves adjusted too tight and not letting you get enough compression? Is fuel getting to the cylinders?
 
When you get the firing order set up right start all over with new sparkplugs. Then clean those you're using now by running them one at a time in a hot running engine. The ones you have now are sure to be gas soaked.
 
You need to switch the top two wires around to look like the picture below.
How are you checking timing? If you are looking at spark when you have fire to number one plug thru the wire you have attached to number one you won't be in time.

BulidingAllisEngines004-vi.jpg
 
Thought that little guy looked familiar.

One of the easiest starting engines ever. One yank of that crank and it is "bellerin'". :>)

Allan
 
You don't have your plug wires connected on the mag's cap as Dick L's has on his tractor. His No1
plug wire is at about 11 0'clock, No2 at about 7 o'clock, No4 at about 4 o'clock & No3 at about 1 o'clock. Try this and see if the engine will start. Hal
PS: If it still won't start and you have fire
to your sparkplugs your mag may not be timed on No1 piston when its at TDC on the compression stroke. Its easy to determine that by bringing No1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke. Then
remove the mag's cap and see where the rotor is pointing. It should be aligned with the No1 plug wire. Your timing marks should be aligned and both valves should be closed on No1.
 
This morning I'm going to set up the mag like DickL is.the reason I set it up that way the first time is the numbers on my mag says #1is at 1 O'clock then2,3,4 follow clockwise after that
 
They need to be like Dick's mag is wired. Hal
1-3
2-4 Since the rotor appears to rotate CCW.

PS: Your plug wires would never be in numerical order on the mag's cap. They need to be in the firing order of the engine. Your car or truck is the same if it has a distributor, they're installed in the firing order.
 
When you installed the mag on the engine where was the rotor pointing and did you have No1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke. Hal
 
I havn't opened it up yet to see where the rotor is pointing yet,but I will if this still don't work.I put my thumb over the #1cylinder until I felt preasure then I stopped.I went over to the flywheel and moved it slowly while cleaning it,and went past the "fire" mark and stopped at the "center" mark.And for the mag I put a plug in my "11o'clock" and turned it until it sparked, and stopped.It matched right up to the groove so I put it on and now I'm waiting for somebody to give me a pull.
 
It should start if you connected the plugs wires
like on Dick's tractor. It would probably start with a hand crank. Hal
 
No it didn't.I'm going to take a couple of pictures and figure out how i'm going to word my next question.I did find out that my rotor turns CCW.
 
That's what I thought when I saw Dick's plug wires
like this. Hal
1-2
4-3
PS: You said when you had No1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke and your rotor pointed to
to No1 that's at about 11 0'clock. When you connect your plug wires start with No1 at mag's cap and to the No1 plug near the radiator. Drop
down going CCW and install No4 wire at the cap and to No4 plug at the rear of the engine. Then do No3 at the cap which is about 4 or 5 0'clock
and to No3 plug. Then do No2. Good Luck, Hal
 
Troy, I gave you the wrong firing order that I sent you yesterday. Your firing order is 1-2-4-3
and if your rotor points to No1 plug wire at 11 o'clock move No1 plug wire to that position on the cap, then install No2 plug wire at 7 o'clock,
then No4 at 4'oclock and No3 at 1 o'clock. Connect each plug wire to the corresponding sparkplug with No1 plug being near the radiator. Hal
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top