Installed 12 volt conversion kit..NO spark HELP

Tim T.

New User
I installed a 12 volt coversion kit on my 1941 9n. when i try to start it everything turns but im not getting a spark from the plugs. the plugs are new the wires are new and i am getting 12 volts to the coil post. What else can I check?
 
12 volts doesn't fix problems,except starter turns faster.You'll have to troubleshoot ignition problems,ie:coil,points,dist cap,rotor,etc.---lha
 
I just did the 12V conversion on my '40 9N and had the same problem. I changed the points and condenser and made sure there was good contact between the coil and distributor. It started right up and starts every time since.

If yours was running before the conversion, it should start now if everything has good connections. Good luck!
 
Tim,

Check the voltage at the top of the coil again. You should have battery voltage (12 volts) with the points open. When the points close you should either get about 3.5 volts if you have a 6 volt coil (original ballast resistor plus another resistor in line) or about 10 volts if you have a 12 volt coil (ONLY original ballast resistor in line). If the voltage does not drop, then you have point problems.

Good luck,
Danny
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top