Installing 6 to 12v conversion kit

cearlp

New User
Does anyone have photos or diagrams of where and how the brackets are mounted when installing the 12v conversion kit for a side mounted distributor 8N?
The bottom bracket (800-10015) that holds the alternator and connects to the existing generator mounting bracket seems close to being correct (after bending the tabs with the holes in them) but how the top bracket (800-10017) is mounted does not correspond with the instructions I received separately from the vendor. They said it mounts with the two front right hand head bolts. ???
Could the instructions be for a front mounted distributor 8N?

IF you do need to remove the head bolts, make sure you drain the block.

Re-install the bolts w/ Permatex, the re-torque all of them.

Unless you want to be replacing the head gasket.
75 Tips

Thank you Bruce.
It took us a long time to get to where we can answer a man's question and not get side tracked on the voltages.
The board benefits from that.
I've always thought you are one of the great gurus here and better since we put
that stuff behind us.
Cearlip,
Any chance you could modify the one you bought or make your own bracket?
I have seen some real poor, one size fits all examples of alternator hangers sold for these tractors and would build my own.
If you can't make or remake a contrapted, store-bought one I would follow Bruce's advise on the matter.

Any numbers you give mean relatively nothing because every supplier has their own. FORD never used 12V til the later Hundred diesels so there was never any OEM 12V conversion kit around; always aftermarket sellers. When you bought your kit and from whom, should have had the mounting info. If you bought the wrong kit, for a front mount system let's say, then it won't work. Suggest you contact them and get it right. Most reputable dealers will offer exchanges to fix whatever problem you are having. Be certain you use a fan belt tensioning device with your ALT and the correct fan belt. KITS don't always include a belt tensioner either. Without proper fan belt tension, you will never charge the battery.

Tim Daley(MI

(quoted from post at 11:37:03 07/15/22)
(quoted from post at 22:00:44 07/14/22) Just curious cearlp, why do you want to convert to 12V?

Easier starting in winter and the rechargeomg of the battery.
f you are trying to solve a hard start issue, you might as well address the real problem[/b:39e5186d72].

This post was edited by bmoran4 on 07/15/2022 at 06:43 pm.

why a lot of folks here have a problem with people converting 8N to 12V? I understand 6V is what you grew up with but let others do what they like with their equipment. Help them if you know how. Don't judge them. I decided to convert my 8N to 12V after my battery died and I could not jump start it. I told myself "that's it!!!It's XXI century and I can't jump start my tractor?"

(quoted from post at 01:54:36 07/15/22) Any numbers you give mean relatively nothing because every supplier has their own. FORD never used 12V til the later Hundred diesels so there was never any OEM 12V conversion kit around; always aftermarket sellers. When you bought your kit and from whom, should have had the mounting info. If you bought the wrong kit, for a front mount system let's say, then it won't work. Suggest you contact them and get it right. Most reputable dealers will offer exchanges to fix whatever problem you are having. Be certain you use a fan belt tensioning device with your ALT and the correct fan belt. KITS don't always include a belt tensioner either. Without proper fan belt tension, you will never charge the battery.

Tim Daley(MI
The proper kit for a side mount distributor is the belt tensioner. Nothing else is required. I have two I installed from this site. works great!

(quoted from post at 09:37:22 07/15/22) why a lot of folks here have a problem with people converting 8N to 12V? I understand 6V is what you grew up with but let others do what they like with their equipment. Help them if you know how. Don't judge them. I decided to convert my 8N to 12V after my battery died and I could not jump start it. I told myself "that's it!!!It's XXI century and I can't jump start my tractor?"

You can jumper a 6v starter with a 12V bat and jumper cables.

KristofMI you are so right. Lets just help them fix the problem versus the constant questioning of why 12 volts. that's where they are so lets help them.

Yes true. I found out after I went and convert to 12V. But still I prefer 12V. If I bought the tractor as collection item I would keep it as 6V.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back