Interesting at HF

notjustair

I needed a couple of items from the local Harbor Freight so I stopped today. Some things I know are cheaper and wear out a little faster but if you catch them on sale it still works out to be a good deal. The HF blades for my metal chop saw don't seem to last as long as DeWalt blades but they are much more reasonably priced.

Anyway, they had 4 1/2 inch grinder disks for a buck and some change. I reached down and saw what I took a picture of. It's just proof to me that the "good" brands are cheapening their product and it makes more sense to shop at HF.

Of course there were some impulse buys. I had to get that tire changer several of you have talked up. And some more solar battery chargers. And a tool box to bolt on the field sprayer. And some little stuff. I'm such a tool sucker.
a236907.jpg

a236908.jpg

Well, you've got to pay for that "Name Branding". Of course Bosch doesen't manufacture anything, sub-contract and order to a supplier with "Their" specifications. Warrior may well be the manufacturer. When the run was made for Bosch they over produced labeled too many, who knows. The Warrior disk may well be as good as the Bosch, but does not carry the "Name Branding' so in some peoples mind is not as good. My grinding is always rough work most all seem the same to me, only difference is price. gobble

I had a 4.5 wheel in a Craftsman angle grinder explode (paper on both sides not cracked, and not hit, first use).as I touched the frame I was grinding , it detonated and threw pieces into the guard and into the tire of the vehicle. A piece bounced off of that and into my knee like a 22 short bullet. It was not nice even went through a tough pair of Dickies work jeans. I believe in Some things (many) made In USA. Jim

Jim I bought some cheap 3" cutoff wheels for the air cut off tool and had the same results. First touch on whatever I was cutting and the wheel would explode. After a piece went through my jeans and into my leg like a .22 like you described, I threw the rest of them away.

We go through a lot of grinding wheels. The 4.5 inch ones do not last like the 8 inch ones but the smaller grinders are just easier to handle. I have bought many different brands. Major names and no name ones. It seems like it is a crap shot if they are good or not. Right now I am using "Master Force" wheels that are Menard's store brand. This batch seems to be real good wheels. I bought a box of fifty "Grip" brand wheels on line. They were junk and not safe to use. Out of the first four, two broke/exploded after wearing maybe an 1/2 inch off the outside. I called the supplier and returned them for credit.

I do keep some good wheels. I buy them from the welding supplier in Dubuque. I can not remember the name brand right now. The biggest thing is they will cut hard material faster than the cheaper wheels. They do last longer but not twice as long and they cost twice as much. I do keep them for mainly grinding stainless steel.

Cut off and grinding wheels are something I don't skimp on price. Sooner or later one will explode and do more damage than you would save in a life time buying cheap wheels.

I assume you guys have been around long enough to know that
there is a difference between cutting wheels and grinding wheels.
They look the same but will explode if used in the wrong way.
Most are marked "Do not grind" or "No cutting" etc.

I didn't see that marking on the ones pictured but I did notice
that both the Bosch and HF labels say made in China.

Most things now a days are made by a very few companies.
Just re-branded for the pricing difference.
Yes, I know that not all things are like that, but many are.

I keep two different 4 1/2 inch grinders that are different colors.
One for grinding, one for cutting. With the appropriate wheel on each.
Both within the rated speed limit of the disks which is also key.

Warrior is harbor freight branding, not a manufacturer. Harbor freight contracts out more than Bosch!

I like the Master Forse brand too...last wheels I bought were .99 and I believe were made in the U.S.A as are many of their hand tools.

I think you may be onto something about being rejects. Years ago I got this "good" hammer at a discount store (not HF). Soon found out.. it's not tempered, definitely a reject.
a236926.jpg

a236927.jpg

the abrasives wheels (up to the 14 inch) are much better at HF than some name brands. I had to throw out three 14 inch dewalt abrasive disk because they were so out of balance. I love the stuff at HF for the most part.

When it comes to things like the grinders the Chicago Electric brand is fine Avoid their "cheap" DrillMaster line though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back