Interesting SOS info

Jack L

Member
Today I received an original 1959 Owners Manual for the 601-801 series in the mail that I purchased on eBay. I had been using a reprint from 1961. My 671 is a 1959 so getting an original manual was significant.

The 1961 manual says with regards to the free wheeling gears of the SOS that "the red diagonal marks on the dial for gears 1,2,5,6, and 9 indicates they are coasting or free wheeling gears". My shift indicator doesn"t have red lines on 1 and 2.

On the same page and paragraph in the 1959 manual it list the free wheeling gears as 5,6 and 9. My transmission is (312259) I think, which when you guys were discussing the red and blue transmissions I decided I had the red one.

Do you guys think they changed direct drives and overdrives when they made the switch from red to blue transmissions?

Just curious,

Jack
 
What a coincidence- I got my original copy of the 701/901 manual that I also found on Ebay in the mail today. Mine is edition SE 6172-E, is that the one you got?
I noticed that on Page 2 is a list of Standard and Optional equipment. There is no mention at all of either 5 speed transmission- the X5X nor the X6X. I know the 951 and 961 were made. The tricycle that I sold to Soundguy is a 951 and it's a fairly early one- serial number in the 5000 range. Why don't they mention the 5 speed at all in this manual?
 
Mine is s SE 6085-F and it doesn"t mention the five speed transmission either.

The reprinted 1961 manual is a SE 6085-G and it does have the five speed in it.

Is it possible the five speed wasn"t available until 1961?

Jack
 
I remember reading on this board that ford was going to drop the 5 speed but since the SOS had so many problems, they kept making it. Maybe thats why its not mentioned in the early manuals
 
Soundguy's 951 is serial number 5??? so it was actually made in 1957 although it's considered a 1958 model.
I believe it's JimUT who has an extensive collection of these Owner's Manuals. Maybe he will drop in.
 
Do you know what the sequence of publication of these Owner's Manuals was? Do they go in alphabetic order by that letter at the end?
 
I checked Tractor Data .com and it list a 681 with a 5 speed. They were made from 1957 to 1961. And it list the 951 with the five speed being built between 1958 and 1962.

Of course, I know the info on Tractor Data .com is incomplete. Seems we have more questions than answers.

Jack
 
I have a 1962 871 sn166155. It has hash marks on 1 2 5 6 9. I haven't had it long enough to test it out. I bought a reprint owners manual from this website and it doesn't show even show an sos, just 4 and 5 speeds. It shows copyright 1957 se6085-c. I was disappointed. Lowell Gehring
 
It was my understanding that the Select -O-Speed didn't come out until 1959. That's according to John Smith's webite.

Whatever you do...don't go down hills in them gears.

Jack
 
Describing external_link as incomplete is quite charitable. I don't believe anything published there unless I already know it to be true.
 
As I mentioned many times before there are numerous omissions and errors in most all Ford Tractor publications. One of my favorites appears in the Jubliee sales flyers and ads that say the 4X19" front tires are standard on it when in fact 5:50X16" became standard on Ford Tractors with the shipment of the first 1952 8N, talking up to and over a year later here and still not corrected. When I worked at Ford Tractor my office was directly across the hall from the gang 50(?) that drew those neat drawings and prepared the text. They rarely saw a Tractor, worked primarily from pictures, written directions, prints and worst of all they had a chain of command that went 30 or more miles to the Ford World Headquarters and back!
 

A fellow with any sense would stay out of this conversation, but there are lots of funny things stated in the post and previous replys.

First, a 681 would be a Select-O-Speed with 540/1000 and ground speed PTOs. It would not have a five speed option.

Second, all [color=red:0f9eaa1d91]Red (312259) ORC [/color:0f9eaa1d91]equipped tractors freewheel in all the direct ranges. These are R1, 1,2,5,6 and 9. They may or may not all have red hash marks. Grandpa's 871 had them only on 5,6 & 9 even though R1, 1 & 2 also freewheeled.

Third, they did not change overdirve for underdrive or however it was stated when they went to the [color=blue:0f9eaa1d91]blue (C0NN7006B) DDC[/color:0f9eaa1d91] transmission. They simply changed the way they facilitated the direct drive rations. These have no freewheeling gears.

Fourth, five speed transmissions came out in 1955. They were not a later than SOS invention.

Maybe that's enough to muddy the waters for now.[color=red:0f9eaa1d91][/color:0f9eaa1d91]
 
Nice job clarifying things Larry. I hoped you would chime in. I checked back and see that I misspoke about the 681. I meant to say 661.

I will play around with the 671 some more and still heed your advice about holding back with 8th to 7th and 4th to 3rd.

Thanks again,

Jack
 
Hey Lowell,

If you email me your address I'll send you this 1961 reprinted manual I have. N/C

Since I have a 1959 original I have no use for the newer manual. My email should be open,

Jack
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top