International 240 utility 12 volt HELP

smsjsmith

New User
Had someone cut the wiring out of my 240 utility tractor and I am desperate for some help. I can't find a single thing on the 12 volt system and how to wire it up. I'm begging anyone who has one of these tractors or knows how to wire it, please send me the directions...

Hello Mr. Smith welcome to YT! I am attaching a wiring
diagram that covers your tractor. You will need to find
the diagram for your tractor. So depends on if you
have a gas or diesel and your tractor is an ..I.. model
because it is a utility. If your entire wiring harness was
cut out lights and all you may want to consider
purchasing a new replacement harness.
Wiring diagram

You said you are looking for a 12 volt wiring diagram. The diagram, used red MN posted for you, is for 6 volt positive ground. The wiring will basically be the same for 12 volt, you still connect to the same points regardless of voltage. If it is 12 volt negative ground you have to reverse the battery, coil, and ammeter connections shown on the diagram. If it is a generator you need to be sure it is polarized to the correct ground you are using. If you have an alternator you will need to wire for that alternator. Without knowing what you have for a charging system, few details can be provided to help you.

(quoted from post at 04:00:01 03/28/22) You said you are looking for a 12 volt wiring diagram. The diagram, used red MN posted for you, is for 6 volt positive ground. The wiring will basically be the same for 12 volt, you still connect to the same points regardless of voltage. If it is 12 volt negative ground you have to reverse the battery, coil, and ammeter connections shown on the diagram. If it is a generator you need to be sure it is polarized to the correct ground you are using. If you have an alternator you will need to wire for that alternator. Without knowing what you have for a charging system, few details can be provided to help you.

I appreciate the reply, I am pretty novice to this conversion stuff, so I apologize for my lack of detail.
I can tell you there is a 12 volt battery. An alternator, a coil,distributor, and solenoid. Then I needed to tie in all the guages... The battery was POS going to solenoid, with a negative ground.

So, on the diagram, reverse the + and - at the battery (sounds like that has been done), at the coil, and at the ammeter (those may have been done as well but you need to check them). Eliminate the generator, regulator, and related wiring shown on the diagram. You will need to identify your alternator for people to help you with wiring it, as there are different alternators which get wired differently. The gauges and any lights (as long as not LED) should be fine if wired by the drawing.

Not always, but in many cases new users have to have 5 or more posts on record before the site lets them post pictures (or links), due to site spam filters. Another option is to go down to the Site Comments Forum and ask YT Support for permission to post prior to that. You can try going down to the Test Forum and making several posts there to get your post count up, trying to attach your pictures to each post. That may work after you make several posts. Then make your post here again. It may not work immediately after you get past the 5 posts, if not, you might try logging out and back in at that point. There is a size limit as well, I think it is a total of 7mb per post (be it one picture or the total of several). Some pictures (often taken with phones), are too large and have to be reduced before they will post.

Ok so one thing this tractor did have was a resister that the ground from the coil did attach to. Does this stay the same? And the alternator I am unsure, however I know it was 3 wires. And the light switch only has two terminals. No fuses etc.

Having a ballast resistor ahead of the coil indicates it is a 6 ovolt coil. Keep the resistor ahead of the coil (or get a new coil wound for 12 volts if you want to eliminate the resistor). The wires on the resistor do not need to swap. The wire from the resistor to the coil should go to the coil + terminal and the distributor wire goes on the - terminal of the coil.

You will need to post pictures of your alternator, three wires alone won't do it, as several could have three wires. Go down to the TEST Forum and make some posts trying to attach pictures to get your post count up, and you should be able to attach them within the next few posts.

the 12 volt coil may or may not need a resistor. the 12 volt coils sold on this site and also the other guys in michigan also requires resistor.
here is a link to the part description.
12 volt coil

here is the resistance on the coil
cvphoto121413.jpg

For all the fancy sheet metal a 240 isn't much different from a Farmall M converted to 12V.

Here is an updated version of Bob M's Wiring Diagram with the additional wiring needed for a 240:

mvphoto90038.jpg

(quoted from post at 05:08:03 03/28/22) Get a new harness from wiringharnesses.com, and each wire is labeled.

That would give you a wiring harness for the original 6V system, which is not what the OP has. It will need to be hacked up to work with the 12V alternator.

On older tractors I always just RIP all
the old wiring out. And start from
scratch. Barnyard Enginee. Diagram is all
you need. One wire at a time

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back