International 684

Ronn Moore

New User
I have an int 684 with an electrical problem. Originally the altenator failed and I replaced it with a new one but continue to have only about 12.44 volts to the battery while running. I had the vendor verify the altenator was OK, but condition persists. When you first start the tractor, the output jumps to about 14v but almost immediately drops to 12.4. I dont see any signs of a broken wiring or anythng. Any suggestions where I could look next?... Thanks Ron Moore 4/1/08
 
I have a 684 IH and I believe they came with a Lucas alternator (now Magnetti Marelli). You should have about 13.5 to 14.5 volts constantly at the battery when your tractor is running. If a reliable shop tested your alternator and they say its good, then it has to be your wiring. Make sure the shop that tested is competent or take it to second shop if you're unsure.
I had a similar problem with my 7710 Ford (Magnetti Marelli alternator)and it turned out the wiring was bad and the resistor in one wire was also bad. It needed a 205 ohm resistor to make it work properly. I replaced all the wires with new just to make sure. Wire is cheap. I had to go to my New Holland dealer to get a wiring diagram. Those IT shop manuals will not give you the information you need to fix this problem.
 
Thanks for the info, I've been to my new holland dealer, several repair shops and have e-mailed international and case international in an attempt to get a shematic or wiring diagram of the charging system and have not been able to do so. Do you remember where y ou got yours or if you still have it, is it possible for you to scan the diagram and e-mail me..Thanks Ron
 
Ronn,

My wiring diagram was for my 7710 Ford, not my 684 IH. I own a 684, but have not had any problems with the alternator on it (knock on wood).
I would go to a CaseIH dealer, that is a dealer that used to be IH and now is a Case New Holland dealer. They would have more experience with IH tractors.

If you can't find a satisfactory wiring diagram, then your best bet would be to bail out on the Lucas alternator and put in a one wire Delco Remy alternator. You may need to modify your mounting bracket to get the belt properly aligned and tightened. You can get by with simply running one 10 gauge wire directly to the starter. You won't have a warning light, but you don't need one anyway. If the tractor turns over good, the alternator is working.

I have another Ford, a 7700 that has had a Delco Remy one wire alternator on it for years (wired direct to the starter). A new Lucas (Magnetti Marelli) alternator will run at least $250.00!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top