International B250 steering.

The steering on my B250 has become very stiff, all parts have been greased but the handbook mentions topping up the steering box, however I am having trouble even finding this. Can anyone tell me whereabouts it is and how I get at it please. Also any other ideas what might be wrong with the steering?
 
b. b., the "steering box" on your tractor would be at the base of the steering column, the lever connected to the steering linkage on the left side of your tractor connects to it.

Likely, there's some sort of pipe plug in it that can be removed to add oil, likely heavy-weight gear oil, or if it leaks, some use "cornhead grease" instead.
 
The steering on my B250 became so stiff I couldn't drive it , I got looking and could see that the axle had turned slightly and the weight of the tractor was jamming the spindles. I loosened off the bolts on the axle , turned the axle so the spindles were perpendicular and then retightened the bolts that hold the tube in place. It steered like new again
 
It is probably just worn out. The steering box on my B275 got that like and there was no oil in the world that was going to make it better.
Nice thing is there are complete brand new steering assemblies for sale pretty cheap. Mahindra was remaking them. I think I got mine for
$100 but that was 5 years ago. If your box got so bad that all the lube drained out of it, it is going to be already ruined.
 
I got curious and just checked prices here. Holy cow - the prices on those new Mahindra boxes has gone up!
cvphoto34780.jpg
 
Hi Beverley, there are two types of steering boxes for B250 tractors. The early ones
have two steering arms coming out of the box, one on the right and one on the
left.These arms connect to each front wheel king pins and the kingpins may be worn.
The later steering box has only one arm on the lefthand side and is the same box as
a B275 tractor. On the early box you can take the big nut of the centre of the
steering column and pour gear oil down and see if that improves it. Also jack up the
front of the tractor till the front wheels are off the ground and then grease the
king pins. I have two B250 tractors the 49th and the 98th ones made that I use for
competing in ploughing matches here in the UK. MJ.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top