For me it it definitely more difficult to do a smaller tire.Is it me? Or the smaller the tire the harder they are to change....shredded one on the tedder traveling across town...I've had an easier time with an 18.4-38??
I bought the harbor Freight small tire changer a number of years ago. I can't remember what happened but I couldn't make it work. Visit to a professional tire shop and PRESTO! All done no problems. Should have gone there to begin with. The Harbor Freight thing is still out in my shed somewhere. You know, I thought it would be so easy and I would save money. Anyone want a Harbor Freight small tire changer at discount?Is it me? Or the smaller the tire the harder they are to change....shredded one on the tedder traveling across town...I've had an easier time with an 18.4-38??
Yes they are and I'm talking as a person who did tire repair for a living a few times in my life. A old truck split rim is easier to me then a tire that sizeIs it me? Or the smaller the tire the harder they are to change....shredded one on the tedder traveling across town...I've had an easier time with an 18.4-38??
Funny, I said the same thing about taking a tire to the tire shop a few days ago and got a tongue lashing!!I bought the harbor Freight small tire changer a number of years ago. I can't remember what happened but I couldn't make it work. Visit to a professional tire shop and PRESTO! All done no problems. Should have gone there to begin with. The Harbor Freight thing is still out in my shed somewhere. You know, I thought it would be so easy and I would save money. Anyone want a Harbor Freight small tire changer at discount?
Agreed. I used to say that once the bead is broken on a 11Rx24.5, I could have it off the rim in less than a minute. One time I timed myself. Wrong. It took a minute and 15 seconds. Of course, I have my home made tire tools. A piece of leaf spring welded to a 5 foot long inch pipe and a shorter one with a smaller leaf spring on 3 foot piece of 3/4 inch pipe. The leaf springs are ground down to be real smooth so they will slide.I’d much rather change a 24.5 truck tire than I had a lawn mower tire. Other than slinging the extra weight, a 24.5 tire is lots easier to change.
Funny, I said the same thing about taking a tire to the tire shop a few days ago and got a tongue lashing!!![]()
I bought a HF small tire changing device that clamps to your work bench....works pretty good but still needs a little work with some extra tools and soapy water to get the job done.I use a length of thread rod through the axle and bolted to to my work table. I then have two hands free to work the tire irons.
Working the inner tube in and over the wheel takes a little of strength. I use the smooth rounded end of a 9/16" combination wrench to help work the tube into place.
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy