Is old barbed wire worth saving?

I am having a friend remove some trees and brush along a fence line near a storage building. There are four strands of barbed wire on T-posts in the middle of the brush, etc. I am thinking I can pull the barbed wire strands out at one end, about 30 feet of fencing is in our way. Does the barbed wire strands have any value? Thanks for any opinions!

I am having a friend remove some trees and brush along a fence line near a storage building. There are four strands of barbed wire on T-posts in the middle of the brush, etc. I am thinking I can pull the barbed wire strands out at one end, about 30 feet of fencing is in our way. Does the barbed wire strands have any value? Thanks for any opinions!
If it is only 30ft no. If 1/8-1/4 mile and not solid rust , yes. Around here if I roll up onto homemade spools, same size as new, I get over $100 a roll. I believe they are 1/4 mile rolls. I have a lawn tractor I converted to a ride on wire roller.

On old barbed wire, I have been exposed to regular, stretchable barbed wire (12 Ga.?) and Gaucho 15 1/2 Gauge wire. I find that none of the regular barbed wire can stand up to Gaucho....made in Arkansas. I have in on my place that I installed back in early 1980's and it still has the galvanized coating, hasn't stretched and sagging, and no rusting on the wire or the spikes....which is where regular starts rusting. It doesn't stretch and is a bit of a problem installing because the barbs are really sharp and close together.....cows hate it, although it's lighter in weight which helps the installation process, but likes to coil (kink) during the assembly process. Once using it I never went back to the regular.

If old rusty and in chunks, artists might like it. give it to a scraps location for art. If long, and has life it will sell on a public list. Jim

Maybe a crafter would want it? I have seen wreaths made from barbed wire.

Several years back, collectors were looking at some of the more unusual and older types. I have more than 100 different styles. The deal was that a strand had to be a minimum of 18" to be recognized as officially acceptable for a collection. Here is a sample of some of mine. Forgot to mention, there have been several publications on barbed wire, most give illustrations, patent dates, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.JPG
    IMG_2551.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I am thinking I can pull the barbed wire strands out at one end, about 30 feet of fencing is in our way.

Pulling that will NOT be fun AT ALL.
It will want to snag on everything, every way imaginable the entire length, on the other strands, on itself, on the posts, anything within 30 feet.
Cut it at the T-posts and half way in between posts. Bend it up and give it away to the scrapper.

Make a. Roll about 40 inches diameter and roll along fence line to gather . Reuse, repurpose, if it was new when attached to t posts it is not antique.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back