Is This Social Media?

(quoted from post at 09:26:19 03/10/23) My favorite are those who claim to "hate social media" yet post here with alarming, almost addictive, regularity.

This is social media. One of the earliest forms, from before "socual media" was even a term.

This is a social forum, but not social media, even the Tractor Tales (OT) forum.

Social media is specifically designed to manipulate you, monetize you and social engineer you.

YT has no such features, there are no algorithms pushing stuff onto your "feed", you go to the forums that interest you and read the posts that interest you.

There is no "influencer" spam pushed on you and there is nobody making any profits from your eyeballs. There are no Bots spamming either, YT is real people making real personal posts.

The only thing Neilsen wants is your email
address and phone number. They will sell
both and a month from now your email inbox
will be full and some guy named Rico will
be calling you everyday trying to sell you
an extended car warranty

Of course it is social media ion that there are sevweral here who rely on this site to maintain contact with friends and others who share similar interests. Actually when some post silly stuff like what they are having for dinner this site is sillier than facebook or twitter. At least with facebook and twitter you know in advance you are going to see things no one else would care about, but here all you get is a thread title as notice to stay out.

Point is that this site fulfills a need for many people to stay engaged in life and keep up with their interest. As such it has a real positive effect and is, overall, a very good thing.

(quoted from post at 12:34:17 03/10/23) Of course it is social media ion that there are sevweral here who rely on this site to maintain contact with friends and others who share similar interests. Actually when some post silly stuff like what they are having for dinner this site is sillier than facebook or twitter. At least with facebook and twitter you know in advance you are going to see things no one else would care about, but here all you get is a thread title as notice to stay out.

Point is that this site fulfills a need for many people to stay engaged in life and keep up with their interest. As such it has a real positive effect and is, overall, a very good thing.

I agree wholeheartedly. Which puts "social media" in a new light for me - some of it I very much disfavor, but I have very much enjoyed and benefitted from this site for a long time.

Neil

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back