It Was Only $12,000 Extra!!!

1206SWMO

Yesterday,we picked up our new 2023 SUV that replaced the 2019 that was totaled in late August..It took exactly 3 months to get it.The sales person showed me a list of stuff that I could add to it that totaled up to over $12,000 extra..An extended warranty was $4,500, life time oil changes were $1,350,some kind of protectant was $1,500..The list went on and on..Their jaw kind of dropped when I said No Thanks,just tell me what we owe for the basic vehicle that we ordered..I guess it must work on some people or they wouldn't try it.

When we ordered our SUV in early Sept the prices weren't available yet for the 2023 models..They thought they would be about $1,500 higher than the 2022's..We were pleasantly surprised that it was actually only $390 higher than the 2019 model that the 2023 replaced..The only difference was that the 2023 had a 1.5T engine while our 2019 had the 2.0T engine..To top it off we got $1,000 rebate.

We had wanted to replace our 2019 with a similar used one but the few that we liked were over priced, had more miles, and were mostly 500 miles away or more..The insurance company gave us an excellent price for our wrecked SUV and we didnt have to add all that much to get a new one..My wife took quite a beating in this wreck and is slowly recovering...Whats sad is that she no longer wants to drive anymore except for the 8 miles to town and back.....I told her that she took one for the team so that we could upgrade..We had intended to drive the 2019 until the wheels fell off..Well,they just about fell off on August 27th.

cvphoto142054.jpg

Is your wreck called a beater car? lol

I've looked at new cars. Many are only turbo charged.
Never had a turbo. Worried the turbo wont last and they are expensive to replace.
Has anyone had a trouble free turbo that lasted as long as the engine?

Last 4 F 150s I have had were all v6 turbo or twin turbo , no problem with turbo at all. New turbos are water cooled and all kind of differences from the old ones.

I just counted, and I own 6 turbochargers. One was replaced when the engine was overhauled, and another was repaired, as it was leaking oil into the engine. These of course are not on cars, but diesel engines. Price has not been outrageous.

Wow 1206--I must have missed the post about your SUV wreck--Was your Mrs. by herself or were you with her?? Sure did a number on that Chevy.. Take care and I wish your Mrs a complete recovery!---

We had an 87 Ford Thunderbird turbo coupe, it was a wonderful car, but not the most practical for MN winters. It was basically a Pinto 4 cylinder with a turbo. We did replace the torque converter, but we did it ourselves for <$200. I suspect the engine had a little too much power for the transmission. Ford has had a long successful history with turbos, we have ordered a new F150 with a V6 turbo for spring delivery.

Can you tell much difference in performance of the 1.5T over the 2.0t you had? We have a 2.0T and it is a real rocket, more than necessary.

When it happened I was at the Larry Clover estate sale in Sycamore,KS about 80 miles west of where my wife got hit..Larry was a tractor pulling friend that had 60 old tractors and over the years he had pulled about 20 of them..We sure do miss him.

Anyways a woman blew thru a stop sign at the Hwy 43-160 jct hitting my wife in the right rear corner spinning her around which caused a violent roll over...Several people that saw it said that it rolled 3-4 times in the blink of an eye with her landing on the wheels..She was badly bruised, had some internal bleeding, had some memory loss,and 3 broken ribs-etc..She was very fortunate to have survived this wreck.

We test drove a used 2020 with the 1.5T...Its around 75 horses short of the 2.0T but it it will get us by...I told my wife that our drag racing days are over..2020 was the last year that the 2.0T was offered..They were sure peppy little engines..

I had both a 1984 Buick Regal T-Type and a 1986 Buick Regal T-Type with the turboed 3.8 engines..I never had any turbo issues..That intercooled 1986 would flat run.

Glad your wife is O.K. Another member here on the 'N' forum GB from MT's wife had an equally horrific accident. She is sorta good, but not perfect. Things very. Hi ! Leslie

seen several wrecks at that junction. why i never know.blinking light too.
i think everybody going north and south think 43 is a noin stop road but it stops when it crosses 160. roundabout at 96,seen several try to straighten the roundabout out.
best part your wife is alive and getting better

"New turbos are water cooled ". Do they just go non-turbo when the water freezes up in the winter?

Jerry,
Like turbos or not, I don't think I'll have a choice.
I looked at a 2023 GMC Acadia, V6 and turbo online.

What impressed me the most about the GMC Acadia is the improved mpg, a spare tire, heated seats, heated steering wheel and Noise cancelation.
The GMC may be my next car.
I have a constant ringing in both ears and there isn't anything Dr can do. Noise makes it difficult to hear people. I need to eliminate background noise. A good sound system makes it easier to listen to music too.
My BIL has the same problem, even worse.

All it's going to take is a good Deal and I may be driving a GMC and Karen will be driving an old Cadillac.

We got another Chevy Equinox LT..I think I originally said that it was only $390 more than the wrecked 2019 that it replaced..Actually,it was $390 cheaper..By ordering it we only got the options that we wanted which helped make it cheaper.

Yes,blinking light,rumble strips, stop sign in open flat country that is continually ran by people that arent paying attention..A friend used to be a EMT for Barton County and he said that the amount of wrecks there at 43-160 is lots more than you would think..

Turbos are better than they used to be but I think it is still a good idea to use synthetic oil in them. It stands up better to the heat when you shut off the engine, making the turbo bearing last longer.

Glad your wife is okay and that the Equinox instilled enough faith after the crash that you bought another one!

We have two vehicles with the 1.5T - aren't going to win races with them, but they easily run with traffic and have had great gas mileage in my opinion.

(quoted from post at 04:13:43 12/05/22) "New turbos are water cooled ". Do they just go non-turbo when the water freezes up in the winter?

You understand that they are cooled using the same system as the rest of the engine, with coolant that's good to -50F, right?

(quoted from post at 10:40:53 12/05/22)
(quoted from post at 04:13:43 12/05/22) "New turbos are water cooled ". Do they just go non-turbo when the water freezes up in the winter?

You understand that they are cooled using the same system as the rest of the engine, with coolant that's good to -50F, right?
iggere'd as much, but he did say "water". :)

With all the electronic gadgetry in these modern vehicles buying a extended warranty isnt such a bad idea. JMHO

Vito

Until you find most of these extended warranties cover powertrain only. If the dash takes a dump and the entertainment/navigation system quits working, it covers nothing.

One accessory that your should absolutely buy and isn't particularly expensive is a dashcam. A good dual camera one that does full HD front and rear should be around $200 or so depending on brand.

I like the Thinkware cams, or at least the ones from a few years back, they have done well in my vehicles roasting in the TX sun in the summer and freezing a bit in the winter.

A friend put one in his truck after seeing mine a few years back and it captured the full action when a truck towing a big excavator on a trailer wasn't paying attention and plowed into the car behind him and then the whole mess into him while stopped at a light. He ended up with bad whiplash that took several months to recover from.

My son just purchased a new Subaru. It has 70 different computers! It's covered with xtended warranty!

(quoted from post at 02:44:01 12/05/22) seen several wrecks at that junction. why i never know.blinking light too.

In a world where people regularly plow into the backs of police cruisers pulled off on the side of the road, red, white blue and amber strobes blasting full tilt in a random pattern, and the first words out of their mouths are, "I DIDN'T SEE IT!" a little flashing red light isn't going to get anyone's attention.

Cell phones aren't the only cause. There's a crossroads of two state highways near me here, long straight stretches in all directions so everyone's going like a bat outta hell. People have been getting killed at this intersection for as long as I can remember, over 40 years. It started out with a couple of flashing red lights, now there are HUGE stop signs with flashing lights above them, flashing warning lights well before the intersection, and speed bumps to wake the driver up. There's still at least one fatal accident at this intersection every year...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back