Using New Technology

rusty6

It was the early 1980s when my dad and I got into the modern style of filling seed boxes with a hydraulic drive drill fill. Prior to that it was a bathtub and five gallon pail we used. Ok for the little 12 foot Van Brunt drill but once we got the 15 foot MF 360 disker that held more than double the amount of grain, we went for the drill fill. The first attempt using had me wanting to go back to the five gallon pail as the down spout filled up and fell off the auger. (Too little height) But we stuck with it and eventually had a good working system much faster and easier than the old five gallon pail. This photo from those days shows my dad filling the fertilizer box on the Massey disker. We only had the drill fill for seed at the time and were just getting into using bulk dry fertilizer so it was pailed in.
I guess this is my way of commenting on the "new" format here although really I had no problem as it all seems to work as good and in many cases better than the old modern.

Attachments

• Dad fill disker.JPG
    Dad fill disker.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Once we get past the new and learn how this works it will be okay. I had been on Cattle today similar format. But they had moderators that were not okay to much personal opinion on their moderating. One was okay and he died and they had another take over.

It was the early 1980s when my dad and I got into the modern style of filling seed boxes with a hydraulic drive drill fill. Prior to that it was a bathtub and five gallon pail we used. Ok for the little 12 foot Van Brunt drill but once we got the 15 foot MF 360 disker that held more than double the amount of grain, we went for the drill fill. The first attempt using had me wanting to go back to the five gallon pail as the down spout filled up and fell off the auger. (Too little height) But we stuck with it and eventually had a good working system much faster and easier than the old five gallon pail. This photo from those days shows my dad filling the fertilizer box on the Massey disker. We only had the drill fill for seed at the time and were just getting into using bulk dry fertilizer so it was pailed in.
I guess this is my way of commenting on the "new" format here although really I had no problem as it all seems to work as good and in many cases better than the old modern.
It was the mid 80's, when I, at age 30 'retired' from my first and last job and went to full time farming. I was shoveling urea, or am/sul into the mounted spreader while dad threw in handfuls of clover seed. We top dressed our wheat like that and it worked well. By 1988 I was on my own as father's attention was devoted to little brother. Then Dad passed away Dec 6/92. I eventually got everything powered up, like you. I have long since quit trying to seed anything under wheat as we get some real wet seasons, and green growth interferes with wheat harvest.

It was the mid 80's, when I, at age 30 'retired' from my first and last job and went to full time farming. I was shoveling urea, or am/sul into the mounted spreader while dad threw in handfuls of clover seed. We top dressed our wheat like that and it worked well. By 1988 I was on my own as father's attention was devoted to little brother. Then Dad passed away Dec 6/92. I eventually got everything powered up, like you. I have long since quit trying to seed anything under wheat as we get some real wet seasons, and green growth interferes with wheat harvest.
I planted grass seed mix on top of a field of oats I had already seeded. It did very well. Swathed the oats to harvest them so there was no problem with the grass underneath as it was barely noticeable.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back