It's "done"!

Catch84

New User
After spending way, WAY, too much time and money, the tractor I bought for a "parts" tractor is finished. I picked this up 4 years ago for $275. Of course I had to see if it would run. I have never seen gas that has turned into tar before but I can't say that anymore, the carb was almost choked solid with it. Also most of the valves were stuck. I ended up bending a valve getting them unstuck so I purchased a valve grinder and learned how to grind valves. I worked on the tractor on and off (mostly off) for the next 4 years and in July of this year I became determined to get it done in time for the local tractor show. Serial number 8N1319.

mvphoto97221.jpg

Photo from the Craigslist ad when I bought it.

mvphoto97222.jpg

mvphoto97223.jpg

Loaded up for the tractor show.

Nice job! Nice hauler too. Studebaker isn't it?
What was that sticking out of the grill when you first brought it home?

(quoted from post at 10:16:37 09/15/22) Nice job! Nice hauler too. Studebaker isn't it?

Yes, 48' Studebaker M16. At least the cab, hood and fenders! It sits on an RV frame with a 455 Olds wedged under the hood.

What looks like it's sticking out of the grill was some weird kind of cap hanging from a wire, no idea what it was for.

Absolute Bad A$$ man! Love the early 8N GEN. Are you certain on that serial number? What does the engine block Date Code ID Tag say? It's on the starter pocket.

FORD ENGINE BLOCK SERIAL NUMBER HAND STAMPS:
q61xMsGh.jpg

FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR ENGINE BLOCK SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION:
2QvuQBGh.jpg

EARLY 8N ENGINE CASTING DATE CODE BOSS, SEPTEMBER 16, 1947:
hHB61ZVh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 04:56:34 09/16/22) Absolute Bad A$$ man! Love the early 8N GEN. Are you certain on that serial number? What does the engine block Date Code ID Tag say? It's on the starter pocket.

Well now I'm not! LOL This is what I was going by. (Didn't realize there was a leading star when I was outlining it but if you look close you can see it.)

mvphoto97248.jpg

Between that and the old style clutch linkage I figured it was pretty accurate. I'll look this weekend for the other tag.

This post was edited by Catch84 on 09/16/2022 at 04:31 am.

I was able to do a screen capture on one of the videos I took. What does this tell us??

mvphoto97251.jpg

Also, thank you for all the kind comments!!!

After doing some more research I'm guessing the block was cast June 15/16 1947. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's hard to tell whether its a 15 or a 16 from that screen shot.

(quoted from post at 14:11:10 09/15/22)
(quoted from post at 10:16:37 09/15/22) Nice job! Nice hauler too. Studebaker isn't it?

Yes, 48' Studebaker M16. At least the cab, hood and fenders! It sits on an RV frame with a 455 Olds wedged under the hood.

What looks like it's sticking out of the grill was some weird kind of cap hanging from a wire, no idea what it was for.

Very nice! Be sure to send pics to the CL seller, lol.

Does that RV chassis with the 455 mean it is front wheel drive??

Very nice! Be sure to send pics to the CL seller, lol.

Does that RV chassis with the 455 mean it is front wheel drive??

No it's rear wheel drive. Engines backed by a TH-400 automatic.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back