Its not a tractor, but IH

notjustair

I know lots of us frequently click here. Ive got an old 61 B160 grain truck. I dont use it for grain any more, but hauling lots of other things. First/reverse is out due to hard abuse before me. Its got the t18 BW transmission in it but Im finding it has to be from an IH truck due to the input shaft.

My questions are two. First, will the first/reverse gear (I popped the top of the trans off and it is ground down) from the same era Ford-used T18 work? Second, anyone have one of those transmissions laying around? Ive got others but not that one. It seems all of my old GM transmissions would take all kinds of mods to make them work in the binder. Its in great shape otherwise.

I have a BW gear parts book good to 1970.
T18 Scout trans shares same part # as some Ford T18.
Are you certain you have a T18???

Now it has been many moons sine i did truck work BUT most parts other then the input shaft are the same . Some inputs used fine spline some used course some may be longer . First and rev run off the revers idler . Simple transmission to work on . Back in the day then biggest thing was third and forth scycro's due to people thinking they were driving a race car and slam shifted them If they got chewed up here again being to quick on the shift and not getting all the way in gear or a bearing failure . Sure was not from to much Horse power. .Oh and some times one can just change the clutch disc to do a trans swap from one make to the other That T 18 was used in 3/4 ton up into two ton light duty > ya found that in a lot of grain/ farm / light delivery trucks backed up by a two speed rear end . IMHO most grain trucks were always spec. out way to light Ya see a lot of them with GVW's under 26000 but yet when loaded they are in the mid to upper 30000 lb range crossing the scales . Local I H dealer sold a ton of under speced. truck to farmers . Trucks low on horse power not enough tire or springs and lack of braking and we have HILLS . So low Hp. wrong transmission bad choice of rear end ratio And a non Scyro first gear and lack of skill in double clutchen is another reason for first to go out . I also remember well the OLD farm trucks that my uncle had that had self unloading tater bodys built and installed some with that same trans mission with a 2 speed and a three speed bronnie added and way under powered hauling 8-10 ton of taters and tryen to come up the big hill from the north side of the farm , once you crossed the rough rail road tracks it was wise to just stop shift the rear end into low put the bronnie in second and the trans in first and plant your foot on the floor and HOPE you did not have 11 ton or a drive shaft or axle did not twist off.

Its a t18 for sure. I was kind of hoping that the input shaft was the only thing changed. There were a few transmission options listed in my B series parts book but I dont have a scout book so I cant be sure of that cross over.

Scout 1966-69 T-18. my book says T18-12, search brings this up
https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/t18-transmission-1st-gear-reverse-slider-fits-65-ford-jeep-international-t18-12/

Ford part # C5TZ-7100C Should be same part.
Jeep part # 940500
No guarantees any of this is correct info for your truck but should be correct for some 1966-69 Scout with T18.
In my book Jeep, IH or Ford show no listing for T18 parts prior to 1965.
Good luck!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back