J D model H manure spreader

amiller7

New User
Gear lube - add or leave dry?

I have always put 80W gear lube in my case on my JD Model H manure spreaders. I am rebuilding my case and received a newer gear and inner case from a very knowledgable parts dealer. He says to leave it dry and not put in any gear lube - that it will run better dry. Any opinions on
running dry vs. with lube?

thank you,
Andy
 
We run our one dry because the oil an grease will pick up any dirt and act like a grinder on the gears an chain. Any thing that will hit it will stick to them when oiled. If it is for show paint them stove black and they will look good.
 
I remember once my Grand Father used some graphite powder on the chain once when it was dry. I asked him why not just put some used oil on the drive chain? He explained why & said nothing in this case is better than oil. Later we bought a new model 34 spreader which I still use.
 
This may seem like a silly question, but which way do the teeth point on the gear for the apron chain? I'm assuming they point forward so the pawls can grab them better.

Thanks,
Andy
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top