JD 1010 missing serial number

I have had a 1962 gas 1010 tractor since 2001 and this summer decided to buy a "twin". The new tractor is missing its serial number plate, which is important for ordering certain serial-number dependent parts. While the new tractor is very close to my original tractor, one of the differences is that it is running on a negative ground +12v system, whereas my original is on a positive ground, -12v system. Does anyone know if this difference will help me pin down the serial number range for the new tractor? Is there something else I can look for in the new tractor that would help with refine the possible serial number range?

Looking at the John Deere parts site, it appears that tractor series used a generator throughout it's production run and (AFAIK) Deere tractor electrical systems in that era were (+) ground until they switched to alternators a few years later.

So it would seem that someone has switched it over to (-) ground.

Does it still have a generator?

It has an alternator now. So this is an after market modification and won't help me derive my serial number range. Too bad. Nothing else really jumps out at me as different from my other 1010. Some of the numbers on the transmission and block that are part of the cast are different. I wonder if those could be a clue.
My immediate dilemma is that I need to order a new inside front wheel bearing for he newer 1010 and there are numerous bearings listed on the JD parts site, all serial number dependent. I also know that this is going to be a recurring problem for me getting parts in the future so I will need to reverse engineer the serial number range at some point.

For front wheel bearings I would pull the wheel, knock the bearings and seal out and match them up at a parts store. If you want to reverse engineer them, cross the JD part numbers to standard industry bearing numbers and match those numbers to the bearings you took out, to work back to the JD numbers. Casting numbers on the hub may help as it appears those changed at the serial number break, looking at the online parts catalog.

(quoted from post at 13:49:29 08/12/23)
Looking at the John Deere parts site, it appears that tractor series used a generator throughout it's production run and (AFAIK) Deere tractor electrical systems in that era were (+) ground until they switched to alternators a few years later.

So it would seem that someone has switched it over to (-) ground.

Does it still have a generator?
The only way I can narrow it down some, Is I think if the shifter is on the dash it is a 61 or 62. If it's on the transmission it shoud be a 63 or newer

(quoted from post at 13:35:03 08/12/23) I have had a 1962 gas 1010 tractor since 2001 and this summer decided to buy a "twin". The new tractor is missing its serial number plate, which is important for ordering certain serial-number dependent parts. While the new tractor is very close to my original tractor, one of the differences is that it is running on a negative ground +12v system, whereas my original is on a positive ground, -12v system. Does anyone know if this difference will help me pin down the serial number range for the new tractor? Is there something else I can look for in the new tractor that would help with refine the possible serial number range?

Dash or transmission shifter ? 4 or 7 bolt from the transmission into the belhousing . Several hydraulic updates that are visual use identifiable .

This is very helpful. The one missing the serial number has the newer spin-on oil filter. I thought that that was also a modification that could be done as an aftermarket modification as well. Perhaps I am wrong about that. I have yet to look at the number of bolts between transmission and bell housing, but I will. Definitely the shifter is on the transmission, not the dash, which is the case with my original 1010 as well.

the 7 bolt transmission was at 31,001 iirc . So your tractor is probably well past the 42,001.
If you go through the parts book there were many minor changes during production .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back