JD 1020 Front Wheel Reversal

Caminofeld

New User
Hello, I apologize if this post appears multiple times; as I was having some difficulty.

I bought new front tires for my JD 1020. The store I bought them from sold me larger tires they said would fit for a way cheaper price than stock. They ended up being a little too wide and rubbing, so I reversed the wheels with the offset facing outwards. My question is, aside from looking a litte goofy, is there any functional reason not to do this? My propery has lots of hills and swamp, so a wider stance and footprint would actually be helpful. The only functional issue I see is the hub ring barely seats on the wheel, but the wheel seats tight to the hub flange and the lugs are torqued to spec.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to break anything major or cause and accident.

Thanks guys!
mvphoto43345.jpg
 
I believe those are reversible rims like a 2030 so that is not an issue. I do know the 2030 says the front wheels should not be reversed when operated with heavy loads, i.e. loader. That said they will work that way, it just puts more strain on the spindle as the load center is further out from the bearing. I would say just slow down a bit when carrying loads with the loader to reduce impact loading. Wider tires, more surface area, will float better on soft ground with the loader.
 
Leverage. You're more likely to break a spindle while lifting something heavy with the loader with them out that way.
 
I also have a service bulletin from Deere somewhere that says dealers are not to order the swept back front ends for tractors that get loaders. It seems no dealers read that one. They were to order tractors with strait front ends for loader use. Tom
 
I have been looking at picture online and I do see many people with either reversed or wider wheels on their 1020 loaders. Makes sense about the extra stress on spindles, etc though. I'll plan to take it slow and use caution with heavier loads since I really don't have a choice other than to eat $$$ and replace the tires.
 
I realize that this is an older thread but I have the 6.00 x 16 wheels and with my front loader the front wheels want to sink easily in softer soil. I would like wider wheels and tires but the current ones are already close to the spindle upright. Does anyone have a suggestion of wider wheels / tires? thanks in advance
 

Rim (wheel) width and tire size are different things. Are your current wheels (rims) 6'' wide or do you have 6.00-16 tires on it? Without going to rims with different offset, you may have to run it with the rims turned around to use wider tires. If you have a narrow rim you may need wider rims for proper tire fit.

If you have the 5.5'' wide 16'' rim shown in the parts book, it was used with 7.50 - 16 tires.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top