JD 1020 with 37 Loader

mtech

New User
Hello all,

I own a JD 1020 with a 37 loader and I would like to remove the 37 loader but I am unsure what I do with these two hydraulic lines that feed to the loader from the tractor. Can I disconnect the two hydraulics lines and connect a smaller hose that runs between them? My apologies in advance as I am new to working on a tractor apart from some general maintenance. I looked in the loaders owner manual but I really couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • JD Picture 1.jpg
    JD Picture 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • JD Picture 2.jpg
    JD Picture 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
Your 1970's "1020" has a "closed center" hydraulic system.

Because of this, when disconnecting the pressure and return lines to the loader you need to CAP the two ports in the tractor. I see one quick disconnect coupler, nothing needs to be done there except to release the hose and put a dust cap in the coupler body. How about the other line, is there a quick disconnect coupler there, as well? IF you may ever intend to put the loader back on, be SURE to make a note of which line goes to what port. Mixing them up is NOT a good thing for the loader valve
 
Upvote 1
I'll 2nd what wore out stated
Agreed with you gentlemen.

One thing I would add, I would look at getting rid of the 150PSI rated galvanized and plain pipe fittings and put real hydraulic steel fittings there or plug/cap at the base connection points with hydraulic caps or plugs.
 
Upvote 1
Your 1970's "1020" has a "closed center" hydraulic system.

Because of this, when disconnecting the pressure and return lines to the loader you need to CAP the two ports in the tractor. I see one quick disconnect coupler, nothing needs to be done there except to release the hose and put a dust cap in the coupler body. How about the other line, is there a quick disconnect coupler there, as well? IF you may ever intend to put the loader back on, be SURE to make a note of which line goes to what port. Mixing them up is NOT a good thing for the loader valve
Thanks for the help "Wore Out" and others! This was very helpful as I am new to this. I don't think the other line is a quick disconnect coupler. I will get another quick disconnect coupler for the one line and that way it'll be easier to connect when I put it back on and make sure to mark them accordingly so I don't mess it up later on. Again thanks for the advice/help!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help "Wore Out" and others! This was very helpful as I am new to this. I don't think the other line is a quick disconnect coupler. I will get another quick disconnect coupler for the one line and that way it'll be easier to connect when I put it back on and make sure to mark them accordingly so I don't mess it up later on. Again thanks for the advice/help!
Since you are adding another quick coupler and will be putting the loader back on at a later date arrange the couplers so there's a male tip on one hose and a female coupler body on the other so the hoses will only fit/match up in the correct configuration.
 
Upvote 0
Hello mtech welcome to YT! All I will add is treat the hydraulic system on that tractor with “kid gloves” they don’t have the best reputation for reliability. Follow the recommended hour intervals for changing it and the filters. If the tractor sees a lot of intermittent use, shortening that interval would probably be a good idea! Any chance you would reveal what the “m” is for?
 
Upvote 1
Since you are adding another quick coupler and will be putting the loader back on at a later date arrange the couplers so there's a male tip on one hose and a female coupler body on the other so the hoses will only fit/match up in the correct configuration.
This is such a good idea. Thank you!
 
Upvote 0
Hello mtech welcome to YT! All I will add is treat the hydraulic system on that tractor with “kid gloves” they don’t have the best reputation for reliability. Follow the recommended hour intervals for changing it and the filters. If the tractor sees a lot of intermittent use, shortening that interval would probably be a good idea! Any chance you would reveal what the “m” is for?
Used, in your doom and gloom announcement you are thinking about the 1010's & 2010's, the 1020 is a completely different "animal" and is for the most part just fine, hydraulic system and otherwise! Don't scare the O.P.!
 
Upvote 0
Hello mtech welcome to YT! All I will add is treat the hydraulic system on that tractor with “kid gloves” they don’t have the best reputation for reliability. Follow the recommended hour intervals for changing it and the filters. If the tractor sees a lot of intermittent use, shortening that interval would probably be a good idea! Any chance you would reveal what the “m” is for?
Thanks! Will do and I appreciate the advice. Last winter I drained all the old hydraulic fluid out and replaced the screen, hydraulic filter, and got the low-viscosity JD fluid (my area gets pretty cold). The tractor is normally just used for a few months of the year for some snow removal but I am trying to get away from using it for work and I've been slowly fixing it up for fun as a project. But I don't know a whole lot and the shop/repair manuals could use some more pictures lol.... Anyways the M in mtech stands for my dog named Max.
 
Upvote 0
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top