JD 2040 injection pump removal question

Can I remove my JD 2040 injection pump without taking off the entire front engine cover? I haven't started the teardown but from what I can see there looks to be a small 2 bolt inspection cover right behind the upper radiator hose that will allow me to unbolt the injection pump from the driven gear in the front engine cover without having to remove the entire front cover. Can anyone confirm or give direction if this isn't correct?

Thanks
greg

If you have the CAV DPA ROTO DIESEL pump, yes, you should be able to remove the three pump drive gear bolts and leave the gear in place without removing the complete
front cover.

It looks like I have a broken shaft in the pump. With the inspection cover off that part of the shaft I can see is turning when I turn the engine over but, with the back fuel inlet plate off, the transfer pump vanes are not turning. The tractor was running great when this happened. It cranked fine, mowed for about 15 minutes with nothing abnormal then it died just like the fuel was shut off only to find this. My biggest concern is why it happened. I sure don t want to repair or replace the pump to have it happen again. Is it possible that a stopped up injector caused this shaft to break?

quote="Dieseltech"](quoted from post at 11:45:27 09/25/23) If you have the CAV DPA ROTO DIESEL pump, yes, you should be able to remove the three pump drive gear bolts and leave the gear in place without removing the complete
front cover.[/quote]

It looks like I have a broken shaft in the pump. With the inspection cover off that part of the shaft I can see is turning when I turn the engine over but, with the back fuel inlet plate off, the transfer pump vanes are not turning. The tractor was running great when this happened. It cranked fine, mowed for about 15 minutes with nothing abnormal then it died just like the fuel was shut off only to find this. My biggest concern is why it happened. I sure don t want to repair or replace the pump to have it happen again. Is it possible that a stopped up injector caused this shaft to break?

quote="Dieseltech"](quoted from post at 11:45:27 09/25/23) If you have the CAV DPA ROTO DIESEL pump, yes, you should be able to remove the three pump drive gear bolts and leave the gear in place without removing the complete
front cover.[/quote]

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back