JD 219 diesel engine woes

crsutton81

Member
We have a harvester with a JD 219
diesel in it that has met with
misfortune. It has a live remote oil
pressure Guage on it that the line
between the engine block and the
Guage itself cracked, and allowed it
to pump out a good 5 out of the 6
qts of engine oil it holds before
the driver shut it down. I fixed the
cracked line and refilled the oil
level to the full mark, then
restarted it to see what damage may
have been done. It did not lock the
engine, but at operating Temps, it
has a good 50-55 psi oil pressure,
but has a light variable mid block
squeak and light rattle now on the
lower block when at half throttle.
Sounds like possibly from cylinder
#3. I know what the permanent fix is
to tear into it and have it
rebuilt....yet again....but is there
any known temporary solution done to
limp by till another engine can be
obtained and swapped in place ? The
equipment it's in is really needed
right now,but yet I'd hate for it to
let parts loose with it directly
behind and over my head while in
operation at wide open throttle.
 
Cut the oil filter open right now. If lack of oil caused any damage to where the engine is making noise, there will be bright pieces of metal in the filter. If the engine is making metal, there is just no way out without risking a major failure.
 
(quoted from post at 22:27:37 07/29/23) We have a harvester with a JD 219
diesel in it that has met with
misfortune. It has a live remote oil
pressure Guage on it that the line
between the engine block and the
Guage itself cracked, and allowed it
to pump out a good 5 out of the 6
qts of engine oil it holds before
the driver shut it down. I fixed the
cracked line and refilled the oil
level to the full mark, then
restarted it to see what damage may
have been done. It did not lock the
engine, but at operating Temps, it
has a good 50-55 psi oil pressure,
but has a light variable mid block
squeak and light rattle now on the
lower block when at half throttle.
Sounds like possibly from cylinder
#3. I know what the permanent fix is
to tear into it and have it
rebuilt....yet again....but is there
any known temporary solution done to
limp by till another engine can be
obtained and swapped in place ? The
equipment it's in is really needed
right now,but yet I'd hate for it to
let parts loose with it directly
behind and over my head while in
operation at wide open throttle.

The longer the engine is operated , the more the repairs will cost .
 
The damage is done. I dont think 1 quart of oil is enough to circulate the engine. The rods will show damage first as they take the most beating. Brgs are most likely scored already. So as said check the filter , if fillings in it dont use the engine as u are creating more cost. Crank is most likely done now also. And if the guy saw no oil pressure on the guage , thats a guarantee its done. U can run an engine longer with no coolant than no oil. Coolant minutes , oil seconds and more damage.
 
HOWEVER... if nothing is found in the filter, you could be in good shape; diagnosing a squeak by printed description is pretty weak testimony. Since you already had it up to operating temperature since the incident, I would think it would be pounding pretty good by now, if it had actually spun a bearing. If you can get at the oil pan on this rig, taking that off and inspecting the rod caps will tell you whether you can continue to run the machine.
 
I think that's the same engine that's in an older JD 6000 hy-cycle. If so I have one with less than 200 hours on an in frame rebuild. A tree fell on the machine and crushed the cab and I bought another sprayer. I would have to start it as it hasn't run in 7 years. I am 30 miles west of I 95 just off I 16 near Statesboro Ga.
 
That family of engines was widely used. Parts and used engines are available. If you don't want to repair this engine now, can you get a used engine to swap into the harvester, or simply find a similar harvester to use until you decide what to do with the first engine?

Is this a JD 3300 combine?
 
Thank you everyone for the replies. After getting the cracked line fixed, I refilled it with oil and allowed it to run a good 5 minutes to allow it to warm up to see just how it would do. The warmer it gets, the worse it sounds it seems. Makes me sick just thinking about it on account that this engine has 500 or less hours on a total gut job overhaul. Yes it's the same engine as in a JD 6000 sprayer. I have a lead on a local replacement engine at the moment. Just hoping he has a good match from his parts machines for it. Shouldn't the injection pump be transferable between any of those engines if needed, as this one was recently rebuilt also ??
 
I once had a service call to Rattlesnake Island by Put-In-Bay , Ohio. Engine on the Deere 450-C dozer there had a noticeable squeak while cranking. Upon pulling the bellypan and oil pan, I found turned bearings. Sent for a new replacement engine and a week later changed it in a day. Had to change out the rear engine plate and rear main seal to boot. That's the only one I ever heard squeak while turning.
 

Odds are the operator did not stop until the engine began making unusual sounds , smoke or actually seized to a halt .
Noticing the low oil pressure was an after thought .
 
With no oil pressure there will be no circulation to the filter. So if you find nothing there doesn't mean no damage was done.
. The poster did not indicate that it was run dry. Was still leaking when shut down , therefore circulation was occurring.
Furthermore, any loose metal in the engine would be picked up and deposited in the filter when refilled with oil and the engine started and run as long as he said he did.
 
. The poster did not indicate that it was run dry. Was still leaking when shut down , therefore circulation was occurring.
Furthermore, any loose metal in the engine would be picked up and deposited in the filter when refilled with oil and the engine started and run as long as he said he did.
Fritz, I am not sure what makes me keep “preaching” on this you are certainly welcome to add comments to any post you want, but here goes. This is an older post, CR is still an active poster here and it is only about 7 or 8 months old so I do not necessarily consider it to be completely dead. This is a process I would recommend for viewing threads here with this new software.
1.) Look at thread titles and click into those that are of interest to you.
2.) Find the latest post that has caused the thread to be “renewed” up to the top of the forum. If you use the “quote” feature it may not be at the bottom of the thread.
3.) READ THE DATE!! the post was made.
4.) If you feel so inclined, reply to thread considering the DATE and topic.
I really think this forum should do what Red Power does, lock posts after a certain time, my suggestion would be a year. I realize that would not have affected this post, but it would help on ones that are 5, 10 or 15 years old. I think for the most part new posters are better served by starting their own thread as opposed to “tacking” what they want to bring to the forum on the end of an old post.
 
Fritz, I am not sure what makes me keep “preaching” on this you are certainly welcome to add comments to any post you want, but here goes. This is an older post, CR is still an active poster here and it is only about 7 or 8 months old so I do not necessarily consider it to be completely dead. This is a process I would recommend for viewing threads here with this new software.
1.) Look at thread titles and click into those that are of interest to you.
2.) Find the latest post that has caused the thread to be “renewed” up to the top of the forum. If you use the “quote” feature it may not be at the bottom of the thread.
3.) READ THE DATE!! the post was made.
4.) If you feel so inclined, reply to thread considering the DATE and topic.
I really think this forum should do what Red Power does, lock posts after a certain time, my suggestion would be a year. I realize that would not have affected this post, but it would help on ones that are 5, 10 or 15 years old. I think for the most part new posters are better served by starting their own thread as opposed to “tacking” what they want to bring to the forum on the end of an old post.
I'm the one who brought this thread back from the dead because I had an engine that might have been useful for the OP. I know it's old. Then again, so am I. Thanks though.
 
In case you haven't found a solution yet, I've got a 4.219 gasser for sale. $500 Denver CO.
I appreciate the offer, but we were fortunate enough to stumble upon another machine identical to the one that had this engine mishap at a equipment jockeys parts yard. After some horse trading, we have another good diesel engine in it and were able to finish last year's harvest with it. To update any other wonders....yes the old engine did get severely trashed from lack of engine oil.
 
I'm the one who brought this thread back from the dead because I had an engine that might have been useful for the OP. I know it's old. Then again, so am I. Thanks though.
I totally and 100 percent saw that! I try to practice what I preach. Fritz just climbed right into the middle of the conversation just as though it was a current discussion. I don’t really care that much about old threads being revived, I just know it irks some on here to no end. So I occasionally chime in with reminders or recommendations like this.
Ster, I would recommend you PM Mr. Sutton. Hover over his profile banner over any of his posts and at the bottom it says “Start Conversation” that is “private messaging” (on a phone you have to click his username) It will show a number on his “mail or letter” icon at the top when he receives it. Same for you if he replies. Have a good day, hope you find a place for your wayward engine.
Edit: I see as I was typing he replied.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top