Don't know if both issues are related but
once I got done cutting and back to he
house, I idled it to down to lower the
temp before I shut it off. Gave it a
couple hours and the pedal is back to
normal. I have no idea what would cause
this but feel it is a symptom of a larger
problem. Any ides?

The engine coolant radiator fins and hydraulic oil cooler fins are plugged with oily mud .
I was all proud thinking a hot water hose nozzle and compressed air had completely cleaned the fins on my 1640. Later when the hood and nose was removed to replace the coolant pump . There was much disappointment when observing more than half the fins were still plugged .

It doesn't have a hydraulic cooler, but I
will be adding one once this season is
over. Couldn't hurt to do a rad flush.

I reread my post, the running hot is new,
it's the second time the brake pedal went
soft.

Which type pto does this 2240 have(dual stage clutch or hyd ind)? With oil at operating temp look inside hyd filler hole behind seat for moving/spraying oil indicating rockshaft control valve seal leakage.

(quoted from post at 22:19:21 09/05/22) It doesn't have a hydraulic cooler, but I
will be adding one once this season is
over. Couldn't hurt to do a rad flush.

I reread my post, the running hot is new,
it's the second time the brake pedal went
soft.

Are you sure your tractor does not have a hydraulic oil cooler bolted to the right side of the radiator, as shown in the parts catalog? The cooler base actually provides the right-side mount for the radiator, hard to believe you don't have one. It is inside the same fan shroud as the radiator. As buickanddeere posted they are prone to get plugged with oily mud.

mvphoto96892.jpg

2240 parts catalog calls that part(item 9) a partition not an oil cooler plus there's no hose barbs for attaching hyd hoses.

I think from viewing parts catalog for 2240 below serial # 350,000 that oil cooler was an option with hyd hi-low trans
mvphoto96893.png

mvphoto96894.png

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 09/06/2022 at 05:44 am.

(quoted from post at 08:37:26 09/06/22) 2240 parts catalog calls that part(item 9) a partition not an oil cooler plus there's no hose barbs for attaching hyd hoses.

I think from viewing parts catalog for 2240 below serial # 350,000 that oil cooler was an option with hyd hi-low trans
mvphoto96893.png

mvphoto96894.png

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 09/06/2022 at 05:44 am.

Right, my error.

It's got the independent pto. I've done
this as a preliminary check but not when
it's been worked for while. I'll have to
check when I rake this week

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back