JD 3130 excessive clutch drag

Hello, I am from sweden, so please excuse me if Im not writing correctly.

I have made some repairs on a friends JD 3130
The HI-LO has been replaced as a complete used unit (with new friction discs)
Hi-LO works without problem, all gear works, hydraulic work (steering, 3-point, PTO etc)
The old HI-LO unit was completely destroyed (a planetary gear tore apart the holder and basket) before my friend bought it, so I dont know if the problem was there before the repair.

Now, My problem!

When LO is engaged, all the gears go in without problem.

BUT! When HI is engaged its almost impossible to get in gear when clutch is down. When in gear with clutch down, the drag makes it almost impossible to get it out of gear and its dragging the tractor forward (or backward when in reverse).

I dont belive it is a problem with the clutch because theres no problems when in LO.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction when it comes to troubleshooting?
Or does all these tractors have this problem, meaning it is impossible thing to fix?
If I get it correctly, the HI-LO unit is the same in 3030, 3130 and 2840.

(quoted from post at 13:32:27 02/13/22)
Welcome to YT
Does clutch operating pedal have correct free travel before thow-out brg contacts fingers on pressure plate?

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, clutch pedal have correct free travel and the clutch releases as it should when LO/turtle is selected.

The problem is only when HI is selected so I dont believe the problem is related to the clutch.
Im guessing, but not hoping, that the cause is in the HI/LO unit, either because something defective or because of how it is constructed.

If you 3130 is like the North American 2840 I am pretty familiar with the 2840. I agree that
problem is not your traction clutch. Unfortunately I suspect there is a problem in the two speed
area. The live rotating basket that surrounds the two speed is driving the two speed somehow
through low clutch. The two speed rotating assembly should not have any mechanical relationship
to the live rotating basket that surrounds it. I would not suspect this to be a hydraulic
problem rather a mechanical pinch / binding / drag type problem?? May have a fiber thrust washer
out o place?? Sorry for the bad news! DW

From what I can tell by looking at the parts catalog, 3130 and 2840 share the same HI-LO unit.

I dont think it is a problem with LO clutch, because when its locked, it locks planetary to the gearbox housing, meaning it is not rotating.

I agree with your thoughts about pinch / binding but I think it only happen when pressure is applied.

When HI is selected it seem to me that pressure is going through and out of the end of the axle between planetary and gearbox, pressurising the HI piston and locking planetary to the axle who is driven by traction clutch.
I think the problem is caused when the hydraulic pressure is forcing the planetary holder forward against the basket, creating friction via a fiber thrust washer.
The washer was replaced with a new before it was mounted and should not be the problem, but absolutely could be if I have made some kind of misstake. Unless it just have to wear a little bit before it works...?
cvphoto117575.jpg

Not !00% sure just what's taking place but when clutch is dragging the high / low input or output shaft is being driven by live rotating basket around it. I do not think having the planetary gears out of time would do this but you did time the three planetary gears when assembling the H/L??
Another thing that can happen is if you did not split tractor at clutch when you did the H/L service, when the assembly is pulled from back the pilot brg for clutch shaft will come out of flywheel with shaft and can fall off shaft down between flywheel and clutch plate causing clutch to drag. DW

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back