Jd 4400 maintenance

SamT1

I traded for a 4400. I figure I?m about $1250 in on it. It starts easy and Sounds super smooth when you engage it. It looks like there?s a lot of new bearings and stuff in it. I?m still trying to free up the shift cables. I got one but the other is giving me trouble still. It?s soaking.

So far what I?m working with:

Brakes don?t work.
Is there any simple fix, I read that?s common on these.

Needs some new teeth of sickle bar.

Needs some bushings the gathering rods on the header run up in.

A lot of the belts look poor.
Any guess if they will just keep going or I need to start replacing them.

Drive tires are shot, I mean shot. 18.4-26
I don?t really feel like spending money, but Grandpa has several international strippers in the weeds that I?m wondering if maybe one has better tires and wheels I can move over.
I?m also wondering if some sprinkler irrigation machine tires and wheels won?t bolt on.

Any idea what all needs serviced? Maybe check transmission oil. Is there any hidden grease zerks I won?t find just by looking around?

I?m pretty optimistic after giving it a run through when I got it to the house. It?s way too smooth sounding for its age. Even the unloading auger sounds pretty quiet empty for a 40+ year old machine. I wish it had been barn Kept. The paint is very faded.

So they IH strippers have descent tires. One has some nice looking 24L-26 tires. Both are full tread and not much cracking.
The other has 18.5-26 tires (same size as I have now) one is excellent and the other is way better than what I have.
The wheels look like everything should move over. The big tires have a dished rim so I assume they will clear. Because the extra width should be outside not towards the inside.

I didn?t throw a tape on them to see if they were physically taller.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back