Jd 4400 unloading auger

Hi guys Ive been getting my jd 4400 combine ready for harvest. Ive had the combine for 6 years. I apologize if this post gets long as Im hoping to describe the problem. My combine was updated at some point to have a hydraulic cylinder connected to the unloading auger. Whoever did it did a nice job. It looks like a 4420 unloading setup. I brought the unloading auger out to the unloading position just to check to make sure everything was working. When I swung it back in against the combine, the driver on the end of the grain tank unloading auger popped off and was laying right where the two separate. It looks like there is a roll pin that broke off that would hold the driver to the square shaft. I tried driving it out with a punch but couldnt get it to move. Its at a tough angle. Do you have any tricks to get it out. Its really close to a seal and bearing to heat it with a torch. Is it actually a roll pin and what size and how long is it supposed to be? My next question is how much sloop is there supposed to be between the driver and the square shaft. It seems the slop could put extra stress on the roll pin. I assume it shouldnt be a tight fit in order for the cone shape on the driver to be able to move to match up with the unloading auger. I could run the combine the way it is but with my luck the driver would fall off and never be found. I really appreciate any advice you can give. It looks like it would have been a roll pin. Ive never had this much trouble with a roll pin.

If you take out the two bolts that hold
it to the support frame (9/16" wrench I
believe), you can pull that whole angle
drive assembly out of the end of the
grain tank auger. Then it is easier to
work on... good luck!

Lon

And when it is out, take it apart, clean out the old grease and check the bearings and seals. The roll pin just holds it on the
square auger shaft. It is not a tight fit. When extending the auger, look out the cab door and watch the two augers where they
join. You may have to engage the drive auger a bit to get them to mate.......Ron

Ok thank you. If I unbolt those 2 bolts and pull the short shaft. Do I have to worry about losing timing of the augers? I appreciate your advice.

I think the timing should be fine. It's a
square drive shaft, and the coupler has 4
notches for the outermost auger to
engage. I think the bevel gears inside
would like to run together where they
have been, so you should mark them if you
disassemble that part of it.

Lon

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back