JD 50 Sheet Metal Paint

Linc Corl

New User
I bought JD Classic Green paint and JD paint thinner for my JD 50 sheet metal. It needed some body work so I hired it out to an auto restoration guy including the painting. He needs a filler primer because of the body work and minor rust pits. He seems uncertain with the JD acrylic enamel paint I supplied. I bought regular auto primer from Napa first and some questions about thinning it with laquer thinner, and using it with or without a sealer are a few issues that have come up. Please educate me on the A to Z process of primers/fillers as I don"t know what to tell the auto body guy and want this work done right. Also what about using a paint hardner - JD says its not needed? Thanks
Linc Corl

hey hows that 50 coming...i havent heard from u in a while. on my 50 i used the yellow jd primer/filler..it filled in all the pits nice.

You can use lacquer primer and then top coat with enamel.

I have done this alot because the lacquer primer dries fast and I can then sand it and recoat and repeat to fill in the pits.

There are better materials to use these days ,but they also cost ALOT more too.

Hi J,
How's your 50 doing these days? still pulling with it? The sheet metal painting will finally finish my 50 project. I'm trying to get it ready for the light hay field work this season. The guy I hired is good at the body work stuff (hood and grill had allot of issues)but he surprised me with paint questions and I know nothing about the stuff. My JD Dealer does not carry any primer so I have to order. Do you have a product # for the JD yellow primer/filler you used? Also did you have to thin the primer to spray it? What kind of prep work for the process? I'm stuck now and much well seek out the right answers! Thanks!
Linc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back