JD 50 tractor coming out of 3rd gear

My JD 50 tractor has been coming out of 3rd gear when under load; I've read numerous posts from others who have shared their experience that could be gears, shafts, countershafts, shifter rails, springs etc. All the other gears seem fine. I have seen the word "teardown" used. Could someone explain to me what that means? Does it mean splitting the rear axle assembly from the tractor? Or, can repair be done by removing the first reduction cover and the gearshift quadrant and 4th & 6th gear cover? I've rebuilt the engine, PTO, radiator, clutch pulley but, in this matter I only have limited knowledge or experience working on the transmission. If anyone provide me with a step by step instruction to to start proceding it will greatly appreciated. I'm more than willing to answer any other questions. Thanks so much.

I can't speak from experience on a 50 but I have been through the transmission on a B. It wasn't too bad especially since you don't have to "split" the tractor like on more modern tractor. My experience was jumping out of high range and loud, the problems were pretty obvious to even a green horn mechanic. Gears which were chipped or worn, wobbled on their shafts etc. Good luck, just go for it before spring gets here.

My 50 had a similar problem the 3 and 6 gears are located behind the flywheel contained in a bumped out sheet metal cover. Easy access. I would start there.

frist & 3rd & rev are the same gear inside the trans 4th& 6th are out side under the tin cover in mose cases the tappered brgs on the bottom shaft are the problem

The only reason to split the rear axle from the main case when working on the transmission would be to remove the differential. All the tranny shafts, gears and bearings can be serviced by removing the top cover, 1st reduction cover, and the flywheel.

JD had a recall on the 50 in order to install locks on the shift rails. My father bought a first run 50 that would jump out of 3rd and 1st under load. The rail locks solved the problem. (Check the parts book)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back